Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
layinpipe,
i like that unstained look in a pipe

that's sort of what i'm shopping for next time when i'm overwhelmed by pad

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks curl, i dig your castello as well, it sure is a beauty. I am more a fan of straight pipes, but i'd take that one any day of the week! The blast on it is stunning and flows nicely with the shape of the pipe. Just a tip, look at estates before you buy new. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying new, if you get the right deal, but Castellos are hard to find a good deal on new. If you look around and be patient, you can score one with very little use and wear on it for less than half the original price. The two above that i own both had 10 or less smokes on them and looked basically brand new. The paneled came with original sock and box, scored for $200. The vergin kk came with original sock and no box, from Italy, scored for $150. Both those pipes together still cost less than a new Castello. Just a tip, take it or leave it, not trying to judge or talk down on those that buy new.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
believe me, i looked around quite a bit for this same or similar pipe at a lower price.

it wasn't showing up anywhere else but on smoking pipes, not ebay, not on a dozen other sites, not even on castello's own website. hell, i didn't even need it to be a castello. i just really liked the unusual bend of this pipe.
the smoking pipes guy said he hadn't seen a castello with this profile since 2010.

i knew if someone swooped in a bought it, i wouldn't have been able to forevermore hold my peace

i'd a hunted that cocksucker down to retrieve this pipe

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
My one and only Castello Sea Rock SC15F.
cho2.jpg

cho5.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Nice going Dave.
You don't see Castello using bamboo very often. That is a beauty (actually, they all are).
The silver work on the Lovat is cool.
I am sure you got that top one from Briar Blues - it has a blue agate ring if I recall and they are quite rare.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Lovely Dave, can you list the grades/finishes?

Thanks! I will.

You don't see Castello using bamboo very often. That is a beauty (actually, they all are).
The silver work on the Lovat is cool.
I am sure you got that top one from Briar Blues - it has a blue agate ring if I recall and they are quite rare.

Yeah the Collection grade Bamboo isn't seen that often. The silver is a Natural Virgin Sea Rock 2000 P&T POY with a cool tobacco leaf.

The Old Antiquari Agata is from BB I've only seen one other for sale and this could very well be that pipe years later.

The shape 30 is a Sea Rock Pi.

I posted some group photo's of the collections/sub collections that I had in mind in SF's Castello Group if you want to check them out. 8O

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I have four Castellos. I have always wanted to add an Occhio Di Pernice to my little group.
From top left to bottom right: 1- Castello Sea Rock kkk 8 pannel, 2- Castello "castello" Great Line, 3- Castello Sea Rock kkkk, Castello "castello" G 8 pannel.

Reactions: petes03

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Lovely pipes max.
I have added a couple of others, and have yet more I've not photographed. Leave no evidence, right?
I shared these elsewhere but figured I'd add here as well.
Screen%20Shot%202014-09-08%20at%207.41.36%20PM.png

ClouDrop%20Sep%202,%202014,%203%3A50%3A14%20PM%20Sep%202,%202014,%203%3A50%3A15%20PM.png

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Two Firsts In One Pipe! I'm enjoying an early morning first smoke in a new pipe for my 215 collection as seen above. I love colored stems and I always wanted a green one in this shape collection and it is my first colored stem with a white bar. For what ever reason you don't see many with white bar compared to the Hallco trademark. The bowl is not as tall as I would like but the better than average rustication and my favored flared stem made this a must have piece! 8O

_5712.jpg

_5711.jpg

Reactions: petes03

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I had an interesting chat with peck last night about Costello's. He told me that before 2009 the draw was much tighter. From about 2009 on it is much more open. Any other thoughts?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The newer the pipe the better chance you will have a wide open draw. IDK if you can determine a hard date but the 2007 Kino stamp era is one but IMO pipes from the late 90's and on are wide open. Even the pipes that are restricted smoke just fine, I've only run into a couple that were unacceptable. I've smoked some that were opened up way to wide and I rather smoke the restricted pipes. You can clearly see the restriction in the colored stems I've posted photo's of the stem backlit before but I don't remember what board it was on. 8O

Opinions may vary and you can never say never with Castello.

Here is a photo I just snapped.

dscn2810.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I actually said 2007 not 2009, because that is what Mike told me, and I believe everything he says. Or maybe I said 2009 - I was drinking.
I have a couple older ones with the jewel on the stem and I find them a tight draw.