PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Natural Vergin KKKK acquired from Mike at Briar Blues, great smoker!

Very Nice Piece,IMO better than average SR rustication! Another collector and I were just commenting on the oval nomenclature panel that is a new touch by one of the carvers.
I can’t remember but was it you that has the Castello walking stick also?

Yes, I got it broken at last years WCPS and a buddy fixed it for me. 8O
img_1410.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I love the cane/walker Dave! So cool!
@Homewaters, that Castello of yours is wonderful. It is sentimental to me because that is the first I ever purchased. Not just my first Castello but my first pipe. I was spoiled from the start. She is a perfect smoker and a true work horse. Here’s mine saying hello.

KunJTWw.jpg

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
A couple recently acquired through Mike at Briar Blues --->
1. Castello Collection Great Line KKKK Bent Dublin (Carlo Scotti Signature) :::
cs0506a.jpg

2. Castello Old Antiquari Shape 65 Bent Billiard (KKKK) :::
bb06a.jpg

Reactions: ak2000

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Wonderful additions to your collection, Thomas! Cheers. What are you going to smoke in that Great Line?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
About a week after I bought the Castello/Dupont set a fellow collector with a sharp eye spotted this Epoca. I bought it on sight. I have never seen an Epoca with a colored stem much less with my favorite flared style and a fairly rare European Trademark. I have a very good group of 215 Epoca's and this piece is a great addition! The dealer gifted me a wood burned briar plaque. I collect and love this kind of stuff! 8O

img_1913.jpg

Reactions: ak2000

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This little beauty just fell in my lap! I stopped in the Davidoff store in NYC on 6th Avenue and only had a few minutes to smoke one last bowl before heading to the airport. Low and behold, there she was. A perfect miniature Castello billiard!!! This is a match to my miniature 55 posted above. Four inches long and probably 16-18 grams. These minis are super rare. This is only the second I’ve seen in the wild.
t6b2ptm.jpg

jSCeU3N.jpg

BiV0I6E.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Very Nice! This was the old De La Concha shop. I wonder if the Stella is a tribute to a Grandchild? When I was there last before The NY Pipe Show spring they had a tiny (but not that small) billiard in the silver sleeve that I have wanted. 8O

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Dave, they still have the wonderful small billiard with silver case.
I have spent an extraordinary amount of time researching the "Stella" notation on the leather sleeve. It was certainly a custom sleeve, all high grade leather and made for the mini pipe. But I have no leads on what "Stella" means. Anybody with information, please let me know.
Also, Dave, I love that Epoca with colored stem! Very rare, very awesome.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The Michelle pipe came in a similar bag only in brown with Michelle on it. The tiny pipe came in a small white box with a small inbossed soft velvet like bag of candy. 8O

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
A neat grouping of full bent Castello pipes.

1. Right: Oom Paul, Collection Fiammata.

2. Left: Oom Paul, Perla Nera.

3. Middle: A rare shape 93, Old Antiquari, with copper wind cap (Circa 1970's).
fb1qLLw.jpg

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Beautiful npod! Here's a couple ... both are fantastic smokers!
This was my 25th anniversary gift from my wife --
002-386-3120_18614.jpg

And this one is from the mid-60s, a Fiammata that looks like a relative of your Oom Paul --
of12b.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This was my 25th anniversary gift from my wife --

Wonderful anniversary gift Thomas! Beautiful Aristocratica finish and classic bent shape.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
What do folks think of the perla nera finish? I haven’t seen one in the wild. Is the grain completely obscured? Does the finish wear away easily at contact points?
Neal, your Castelline’s are super cute! Occasionally, Bollito pipes will get a flight of them. Or at least, they seem to have the largest supply of them when they are available.
Ironically, as I was typing this fedex just delivered a 4.24” long Rinaldo. The size is so convenient to carry and to clench.