PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
jpmcwjr, That is a sharp looking Canadian. Getting a replacement stem with the Barling cross is tricky. To my knowledge, Tim West may be the last repairman with a usable stamp. I could not get a reply to my email inquiry about the status of his stamp, so it is possible no one still has a serviceable stamp.
Thanks, sablebrush52. I agree about the airway at the button. A little deviation from spec is something I can accept, especially considering the challenges of the task. In part I think the cut of the airway at the bit was meant to replicate the rounding of the slot opening that is sometimes seen on Barling buttons (if that makes sense).

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
One of the Barling's Make YOW out of a recent estate purchase. It is a real beauty!

FullSizeRender-12_zpsxfxycyr2.jpg

FullSizeRender-11_zpsvp0xcmio.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Dixie,
That's a very nice Barling! The apple is one of the most coveted Barling shapes, and in an EXEXEL size, it's one of most coveted of the coveted. Looking at the stamps, it's from the 1950's, and I'd guess sometime in the first half of that decade.
The stem looks very clean, not buffed down, and should revive very well. How's the condition of the rim and chamber?
Looks lightly used. Excellent catch!!

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Rim and interior bowl are in excellent condition lightly used like the rest of the pipe. I was very excited to find it in this condition. Thanks for the info Sable I was wondering about the date.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I picked up this big Barling "Garnet Grain" at a Spokane B&M last weekend. The proprietor told me he thought it was a 1962 transition model. It is a bit worn, but I like the size, about 6 1/4" long. I've been wanting a Barling in my collection for a long time and finally have one!
Barling%20side_zpsath9llio.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I picked up this big Barling "Garnet Grain" at a Spokane B&M last weekend. The proprietor told me he thought it was a 1962 transition model.
The Garnet Grain finish was introduced in November of 1962. It's possible that this pipe dates to then, but it's equally possible that it was made later. There's no way to tell. Imperial absorbed Finlay in February of 1963, so the so called transition period ended at that point, not 1967-8 as previously thought. What I can tell you is that the pipe was made in the Barling factories, based on the shaping of both the bowl and the stem. The Barling factories were closed in 1968. Should be a fine quality handmade factory pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
1915 (my father's birth year) Barling military mount Billiard with two stem made by George Dibos, one period correct and the other a nice comfy flat bit for my own use:

3yfmea4.jpg

The pipe on the right is a 1920's pipe that has the familiar model numbering system, which I sent to George for some work and to supply him with a stem example for the 1915 pipe:

EEHd5om.jpg

1950's Quaint with trapezoidal shank and meerschaum lined chamber:

cquFBcb.jpg

1930's Barling Quaint:

ihSaH66.jpg

Let's see some Barlings!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
CORNY TRIGGER WARNING: Prepare yourself for epic corniness...you have been warned.
@Sablebrush, Those Quaints are quite...quaint...
End of epic corniness.
Seriously though, I love the look of those two Quaints you have there, especially that trapezoidal shank with the meerschaum lining. Both are seriously beautiful pipes and I'm not even that much of a straight bit fan.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
HOLY PIPE SOCKS!!!! I don't have anything to contribute to this thread other than to say that I find these old Barlings to be very aesthetically pleasing... Wow. They are rather like pipe jewellery. I hope you guys keep posting the photos.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Absolutely wonderful pipes, pictures, history, all. I thank you for posting these, Jesse. I love seeing pictures and they help the community appreciate the wonder of a specific collection like yours. And also, 1872! Wow, just think, the Civil War had just ended so to speak when that pipe was made. Wonderful time piece.

texana

Lurker
Apr 16, 2018
Okay all you pipe guru's, here is an old Barling silver mount meerschaum companion set for y'all to decipher the hallmarks. I figure I am pretty good at it but these two are throwing me off. So lets see where it goes from here and where we land.
20180622_093238-337x600.jpg
20180622_093005_001-600x337.jpg
20180622_093125-600x337.jpg

Okay, so they are not that pretty. But they sure have character! And just in case you are wondering, yes I do smoke these two pipes with my own English mix. They smoke great too!

texana

Lurker
Apr 16, 2018
These are lousy ipad photos. But its the best I can get with it.

So I will describe the London hallmarks the best I can see them.

The bent pipe reading from left to right is as follows: lion, leopard & a fancy G

The straight pipe (ditto)............................: T with a curling tail to the right similar to a backwards J, lion, & leopard.

I apologize for the lousy photos. Hope they don't drive y'all crazy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ron,
Those meerschaums are glorious! From your description of the hallmarks, the year could be 1922. This set is very like the unsmoked briar set I have. They look to be in great condition and the lighting is very nice and mellow.
Thanks for posting these and PLEASE post more.