PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Jesse,
Sometimes things just look to be too good to be true , but this beauty certainly is hot, sorry .. not.

I felt rather anxcious and excited, the unpacking almost made my heart stop. As usual Rodrigo's shipper stuffed the box with the usual different debris and five sheets of brown paper.

The pipe is imho a stunnning beauty with a large capacity bowl, 5 cm. high and 3,5 cm. wide. She was smoked most carefully, the bottom of the chamber near to undefiled, showing clean briar. There is one tiny heat fissure, but this can be remedied.

The tenon face does not show a crack, Rodrigo is a stand up guy . The somewhat flimsy band makes me wonder why the former owner did not grant this stunner a decent 28 karat gold one. Or could it be because of the slightly overpolished stem ?

I feel like removing the band, the fit is not too tight, but a little loose and it could come of easily. The T.V.F. is hidden under it.

The finish is in amazing condition and there are a few tiny, hardly noticable scratches .

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that the pipe is even better in person. The heat fissure can be readily addressed. As for the band, if it's merely decorative, remove it if you like. There will probably some trace of it left behind on the surface, but that might not be difficlt to hide either.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wow! Nice. Is it really that green?
s-l1600.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The somewhat flimsy band makes me wonder why the former owner did not grant this stunner a decent 28 karat gold one. Or could it be because of the slightly overpolished stem ?

I feel like removing the band, the fit is not too tight, but a little loose and it could come of easily. The T.V.F. is hidden under it.
The gold plate vs. a "gold all the way through" band aside, the reason it's so thin and ill-fitting is because of the shank's fluted shape. Shaping a repair-style band to fit it snugly would be quite difficult. Literally impossible for most people who might attempt it.
The right way to have blinged that pipe with a band would be to countersink the wood a bit, make a mold of the shank-end, cast it, then fit, trim, and polish. (Cosmic could probably do it if you're interested).
No more worries than normal if you decide to toss the flimsy one. It isn't adding strength to the mortise. In any event, know that oval shanks are NOTORIOUSLY prone to cracking because of their design. They often do from just the pressure of a fitted stem, and don't require a knock or drop. Be as careful handling that pipe as reasonably possible.

Dec 10, 2013
Hi JMP,

Thank you for posting !!
What I lack in abilities I try to make up for with quality stuff :mrgreen:
No, not at all :) Rodrigo's odd photography always show his pipes to look somewhat "greenish ".
True color is a deep chestnut brown, mahogany one . This one is to kill or die for.
Jesse, thank you for your always kind words and swift response.
Suppose I could best warm the band with a hairdryer ?
When it comes to cosmetics I'm your man.

Dec 10, 2013
Thank you George for chiming in !
Thought so yes, but I prefer to toss it aside . Once removed it will show the appreciated T.V.F stamp.

If you do not mind me asking :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LWKFZJ8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2FQL10UCAZUR8&psc=1
If memory serves me correctly this is your preferred gunk for stem repairs, not ?
What pigment goes with it ?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If memory serves me correctly this is your preferred gunk for stem repairs, not ?
Yup, that's the stuff.
Protip: When you think you've mixed it enough, mix it more. Use a kitchen timer to be certain you don't cheat because you are tired of stirring. If you stop too soon, the cross-linking will not be complete, and you'll have an unrecoverable mess on your hands.
What pigment goes with it ?
https://www.amazon.com/System-Three-Paste-Pigment/dp/B003L0XE0E/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=black%2Bepoxy%2Bpigment&qid=1551979274&s=gateway&sr=8-14&th=1

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Not so sure if this is indeed a Barling. It is labeled as REJECT with London Made stamp on it. The stamp was so thin that all I can make of is the letter B and a prolonged G at the end.

img_20190308_185435x-337x600.jpg

and this is the pipe, a canadian with tapered stem?

img_20190308_185021x-337x600.jpg

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Very spot on, jpmcwjr! I think you are right.

img_20190309_084317x.jpg

And it does look an awful lot similar with the Twenty (taken from Bewlay page on Pipedia)

bewlay-twenty-600x303.jpg

Thank you :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Anecdote: I know the stamping as I bought a Bewlay thinking it was a Barling. It was in the box of Barlings at a very reputable pipe shop, and only after I got home with it that I looked closely at the lettering. Unfortunately, Jesse was several hundred miles away and couldn't consult with him pre-purchase. But I could have read! Yet I got it for a very low price- for a Barling.....

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Some Bewlay pipes were made by Barling's. This one, it wasn't too hard to tell. :)
bewlay5589-0071.jpg

Shape 5589, so from sometime after 1962.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Is there something in the stamping that indicates such? And if not, how can one tell?
The shape number is marked on the pipe, and the stem kind of also gives it away.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
More info (since you asked), both the Bewlay 5589, and this Bewlay pipe are marked Emerald. See Billiard Chubby 5194 from the '62 Barling catalog page.
bewlay-chubby-003.jpg

62bar20-572x600.jpg

:)