PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bencdavidson

Lurker
Jan 11, 2017
I've enjoyed pipes for a few years now, but I don't really know too much about them. This pipe belonged to my great-grandfather and was willed to me when he passed. His name was Desmond and he was an employee at the Dunhill factory. I was told this was his favorite pipe.
I posted the below on Reddit and was told it is a 1937 Dunhill Root Briar Group 5
"The pipe is obviously a little worn. Below is what I think is engraved on either side, though it's hard to be sure.

The left side has the letter R and says Dunhill London.

The right side says Made in England and the number 5, 50, or 53 and PAT. N9 417574/17"
Can anyone here give me any additional information? Any ideas on what its value is? I have no intention of selling it, but I'm curious as I've been told it's an impressive piece.
I'd also like to get it restored but have a few questions about that as well. Does restoring a pipe destroy its value? What would be done to restore a pipe in this condition. I'd also like it to still keep its character and not look brand new. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
KmecASE.jpg

zEXKBWD.jpg

Po9DTjg.jpg

apWNmXg.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Dunhill pipes are probably retain more value than anything else out there, except certain artisan makers. If you look at eBay or peruse some estate pipe resellers, you can see the vast sums that Dunhills can go for. Your pipe has some negatives, such as the charred rim and the fact that there is a step down from the shank to the stem, indicating that the stem may not be made for that specific pipe. Doesn't matter much regarding the way it smokes, but Dunhill collectors are a finicky bunch.

If it were mine, I would send it to a repair shop and have it professionally cleaned, and smoke it in honor of your grandfather.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I would send it to have professionally cleaned and restored, George Dibos comes highly recommended as @ThePipeMonk said

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The same thread-starter post was (apparently) accidentally submitted twice, and they've now become separated so it's no longer obvious.
Here is the first one for any interested BritWood fans who might have missed it:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/should-i-restore-my-1937-dunhill
Also, thanks to all for the kind words regarding where to send pipes like this one, but I'm not taking any more work at this time. Once I whittle down the Pile-O-Boxes that is invading my house like a 50's B-movie creature, I'll definitely start again, though. Overly long wait times are stressful for everyone, is all. (a.k.a.: The PipeWorld needs more high grade repairmen! Where are you guys hiding?)

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Hey there -- I have had excellent experience with https://rebornpipes.com/
In fact, I will be having Steve Laug perform some rejuvenation on a few of my toys at his pipe spa this coming month :puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
(a.k.a.: The PipeWorld needs more high grade repairmen! Where are you guys hiding?)
Are you looking for apprentices?
As to the OP's question, The pipe looks like a nice candidate for restoration. You may want to read some online resources and tackle the job yourself. The pipe looks to need little more than a good cleaning.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Are you looking for apprentices?
In the philosophical sense (for lack of a better phrase), yes. The logistics of such a thing would make it exceedingly impractical, though.
I have some ideas that are coming together that will hopefully ease the situation a bit, but it's too soon to be sure if that project is practical either. I hope to know one way or the other in the next few months.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
In the philosophical sense (for lack of a better phrase), yes. The logistics of such a thing would make it exceedingly impractical, though.
I understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.