Should I know anything about buying a Bulldog?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
A nice Bulldog (straight) is on my hotlist - I have been wanting one for a while now. Under $150 would be nice... anyone have a favorite they'd brag about? Is there anything I should know about buying a bulldog?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The English varieties are frequently flatulent.
Seriously, though, check for wall thickness toward the heel of the bowl. This shape is particularly prone to heat damage and burnout in the lower half of the bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd start with a bulldog with bead lines, the little grooves around the bowl. There are some beautiful dogs without bead lines, but it takes more artistry to give them a real 'dog presence. Savenelli, Johs, Stanwell, and Big Ben do some good versions, but I'd shop widely until you find one that's exactly to your taste. Stick with well-known reputable brands. Consider estate pipes, though for $100 to $150, I believe you could get a fine new pipe if you shop widely and selectively. I'd take your time. It's easy to fall in love on your first outing, but I think you'll be better satisfied if you take some time and revisit your favorites over several weeks. For a first 'dog, I'd go smooth, as well as with the bead lines. I really like my Stanwell 32, but it is a small pipe, and first a first 'dog, I'd like my Johs better. But by all means look around. For estates, I'd stick with our mainline sponsors, to get something that is what it says it is, that you will thoroughly enjoy. People love their bulldogs, so try to start right.

I have 62 bulldogs, and not a bad dog in the bunch, from Danish to Italian to American, big bowls to small bowls, squats to talls, bents to straight, saddles to tapers, cheap to expencive. I don't think you'll go wrong no matter what dog you get.

Welcome to the bulldog club. I am crazy about my herd.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just for starters ... http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=170722

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I agree with buroak, bulldogs tend to have a really thin wall towards the base due to its diamond-shaped shank. Rhodesians don't tend to have this issue because they have round shank.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I have over two dozen bulldogs and not problem with any. Mainly Dr. Grabows and Peterson. The Pete's are my favorites. There are many bulldogs on SPC for less than $100.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
My Peterson sandblast spigot bulldog for example, has really thin walls at the bottom half of the bowl, and that part gets hot far too easily.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have a Ferndown, Bark Bulldog, btm right would get extremely hot even slow puffing. I loaded some fireplace mortar repair and did a coating on both sides sweeping thinner going upwards. That did the trick.not enough meat in the V downward part on some of em.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I like English bulldogs the best, sweet and loving. But bulldogs are stubborn animals, take longer to train then some of the other breeds!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Peterson will give you absolutely classic bulldog shapes (straight and curved) well within your price point.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Stanwell shape 191 is a good one, but I believe it only comes quarter bent. Some good Petes are also quarter bent. But if you like straight bulldogs, go for that -- there are plenty available. 'Looks like BC makes a bistro bulldog, shown at iwanries.com for only $57, but that may be a little too down market for you. You could get that and some other 'dog, and still come in at your $150. Lots of options here.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The Stanwell shape 32 is a nice version, as is the Wessex shape 601. I own two 32's and one 601; all three are good quality pipes, each cost less than $100 brand new.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
My advice would be stay away from the bent bulldogs with tapered stems around group 5 size. Dont want you interfering with me trying to aquire my collection LOL. The bulldog is my favorite shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.