PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
So having a holiday weekend I stopped for some tobacco for my brother and myself. I asked the shop owner about the different english tobaccos he carries, and asked about any blends that he sold that had periqe in it. He goes on to state and I quote" you are not that much of a connoisseur to know the difference in it" :cry:

The fact is I have been purchasing tobacco from him for over 6 months at about 10-20$ a week.

Should I be pissed

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Being annoyed is always an option. Obviously, you enjoy the place. Unless you want to switch to online only or have another source, I recommend against making a scene. If you have other options, then quietly don't go again. That is what will really hurt him.
Winton

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Yes, you should be offended at that offensive totally non-pipe-brother comment. That said, my company took us all out to a wine tasting once. The guy was a totally annoying snob, and sniffed at our admittedly rookie preference for light German white wines (Liebfraumilchs and such - think Black Tower or Blue Nun). He said that once we become 'sophisticated' we would only drink red wines, and the son-of-a-bitch ended up being right, I now only drink reds.
However, if there's one thing I've learned from the pipe smoking community, it's that you smoke what you like, the fact that you like it, is what makes it right, whether that be OTC in a cob or Irish Flake in a Dunhill.
The guy has some basic, obvious things to learn, but you may also have the opportunity to learn from him. I wouldn't give up on him just yet. He might be able to learn from you what pipe smoking is all about!
If he insists on being a snob, smack him and leave.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Is HE a connoiseur? If so, maybe he just needs to work on his PR skills. If not, he's just ... well .... is this the first time it happened, or do you always get the condescendent attitude from the owner?
Establishments ( not only baccy shops, but in general ) that put forth that attitude don't get my business more than once :puffy:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have had experience with B&M butts, he probably doesn't know himself, a lot of these guys don't know squat about what they are carrying. Any other shops in your area? If not and you like the place try a different angle. Ask a lot of questions and if he is being a butt just be straight with him, I think it is important to be confrontational, not a butt back, but basically ask him if he wants your business or not, you aren't a child, and though not a connoisseur the only way for that to happen is to try some different things, learn and become one through experience.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I guess I am seen as a anoyying customer buying 2oz of this 1of that and 3 of this. Fact is I have dropped over 700$ there over 6 months or so.

He is 75 and been smoking pipes for 60.

He has also on other visits say that most real pipe smokers smoke 1lb a month.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
He's simply following the latest trend in business models: keep your customers controlled and in compliance through insult and abuse.
Seriously though, if it was me, I'd never set foot in the place again. Being talked down to is bad enough even when you're not paying for it.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
He has missed the most fundamental thing about pipe smoking. If you like it, that is what makes it right; there are no 'real' pipe smokers. It sounds like he may not be able to teach you anything, but you may be able to learn things from him. If not, smack him and leave.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
One thing I don't like is people who think their taste is more refined than others.We all like different things.That's all there is to it.A matter of individual taste.He should have explained perique to you and recommended a blend for you to try.It's called customer relations in order to build clientele.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I guess I am seen as a anoyying customer buying 2oz of this 1of that and 3 of this. Fact is I have dropped over 700$ there over 6 months or so.
Ahhhhh .... one of "those" types. Your money isn't good enough there 'cause you don't drop a couple hundred bucks at a time and/or comply with his "suggestions". I wouldn't set foot in there again.
Buy from P&C or 4noggins or any of the site sponsors ( I only have experience with those two, and must I say it's a wonderful one ) and be done with that place. Just make sure to keep a good stash so you don't run out ( been there, done that )

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
He is 75 and set in his ways. I am sure you had inklings that he was an ass before this interaction. I would recommend you go there and get what you want. I would do your own research, or you can expect Mr. Rinkles to take another shot. Feel free to give back if you are called to do so and have the talent to do it in a way that is disarming. Then either sit back and watch other people ask Cyrano about his nose, or take off and enjoy your TAD fix in private! Either way, be happy! Life is to short!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Go back in there and ask him to bag up 3 lbs of this, 2 lbs of that.... and change your mind and leave. :rofl:
lol I wouldn't go back. I can't stand people that don't humble themselves when interacting with others.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Reminds me of when I worked at a wine shop years ago. Wine snobs can be real douches at times. Tobacco snobs can be just as douche-y. I would have just said ,"Wow good customer service there! See ya next week." :puffy: Then in the up coming week, just ask for what you want and do not try to chat him up.
One guy at my local B/M is kind of old and cranky. I stopped asking him much and just come in and am a bit more um? How to say it? Direct and to the point. :) Last week I offered the pipe club organizer some snuff from my pocket tin. Grumpy came over and was interested in what we were talking about. The grumpy guy seems to be warming up to me after my not sweating his cranky attitude and being friendly. Some times it takes grumpy old dudes to warm up to ya. Take it with a grain of salt.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1 Portascat!!!
@Buster, your direct approach reminds me of a drug deal in the alley. Don't talk to the guy, just tell him what ya want, fork over the cash and get the hell out of there lol.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Buster's advice is spot on. Cranky old dudes will warm up eventually. Be respectful, (gotta respect 60 years of pipe smoking) take his jibe, listen to and appreciate his advice. Once you know a thing or two about pipe smoking then you can give him some crap back. I love older guys, lot of wisdom, but you gotta crack that tough shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.