PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
The latest "Top Five English Blends" thread has me thinking.
I think we need a Latakia blend that actually punches you in the gut and knocks you out of your shoes. Ten Russians is fine, and Pirate Kake is all well and good, but I want something truly legendary, since I'm usually only getting one or two bowls a week, I want them to count.
I'm thinking about ways to incorporate Brown Rope with Latakia, like maybe Rope with a Latakia core, or just a dense Plug so enriched with Nicotine that it makes Nightcap look like it's made of Black Cavendish. And if it could be something that burns easily at the same time as being sweet, smokey, and savory, that would be fantastic.
I'll give it a try eventually, but I think something like that sounds like a perfect challenge for G.L. Pease.
Any other thoughts? What kind of Latakia blends would you most like to see attempted?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Not sure if you're referring to marketed blends or our own idea for blends so I'll give you my personal creation.

It's not a Latakia heavy blend, but it does have some punch and that is my Headbanger blend from Pipes & Cigars My Own Blend. I had Russ Ouellette blend me 38% Latakia, 25% Red Virginia, 25% Orientals, and 12% Perique. I wasn't sure if I should go with yellow Virginia or Red but was thinking Red was the better option, so I asked Russ via PM and he confirmed that Red Virginia was a better way to go. It's a nice English/Balkan blend if I do say so myself.

Mar 1, 2014
Metalhead:

Not sure if you're referring to marketed blends or our own idea for blends
Both, any and all. I just wanted a thread title that wasn't so narcissistic and might actually encourage discussion instead of just sounding desperate for attention.

Mar 1, 2014
Les, I mught give Bow Legged Bear a shot, but when you search for "Very Strong" blends at Smokingpipes.com you get C&D Burley Flake, Semois, some bulk blending varieties, and about a dozen entries from Gawith Hoggarth. Reviews from Tobaccoreviews.com seem to indicate roughly the same thing. The old Lakeland blends are something special, and that category seems to be missing a good injection of Latakia.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
a Latakia blend that actually punches you in the gut and knocks you out of your shoes
Why not just smoke straight Latakia? If you get passed a certain percentage of it in a blend, that's all you'll be tasting anyways...

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I think C&D - DaVinci has 70% Lat or something close to it. I was hesitant to try this one just because of the high percentage of lat, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Ended up buying a tin to smoke on occasion after I tried it.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Why not just smoke straight Latakia? If you get passed a certain percentage of it in a blend, that's all you'll be tasting anyways...
Latakia on it´s own tastes very one-dimensional and although I am a huge Lat-fan pue Lat didn´s float my boat. I am happy with mixtures exceeding 60% Lat but you will need a certain percentage of orther leaves for good taste. IMHO Virginia is the only tobacco which can be enjoyed pure.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I love Old Ironsides and Ten Russians for so-called lat bombs. Pirate Kake probably has to be on the list too. (For some reason, it's too much for me, but to each their own.)

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
It seems no one remembers one of the first, still available Lat-bombs, SG Commonwealth Mixture. 50% Latakia and 50% Virginia.

Mar 1, 2014
I think Ten Russians and Nightcap are some of the only Lat Bombs to specifically pursue a high Nicotine content. I should probably get in touch with GQ Tobacco since they have access to the Gawith factory (or at least the tobacco stock) and specifically advertise doing custom blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.