PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm just reading up on different tobacco's and I think I need to try some "Balkan" blends.
Please point me in the right direction.
Thanks.
Jay :nana:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
0aec80def40fba89456bc777a7c1c2f7.jpg

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
ZSA ZSA is rocking out... Magda wasn't blonde (fake or otherwise)?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm quite certain that my pipes would suddenly become estate pipes should my wife find THOSE kind of Balkans around the house.
Now, about the flora sort....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D Super Balkan is a good version in bulk, probably not a Balkan lover's penultimate blend, but substantial and tasty to me. I do have Plum Pudding aging, so I'll get in on that, later.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
SPC Mississippi River

H&H Blackhouse

H&H Magnum Opus

McC Yenidje Highlander (Discontinued)

McC Balkan Beauty
+1 Smokers Haven Exotique

I like my Balkans - despite only a limited exposure to anything in the world of pipes.
a. Dunhill London Mixture

b. Balkan Sasieni

c. Samuel Gawith Balkan Blend - I am struggling a little bit with my first experience of an wet flake, but once stuff gets sorted out, an excellent smoke

d. Occasionally I enjoy Dunhill Durbar

e. Not sure if it can be called a Balkan - But Dunhill Nightcap

f. Not sure if it can be called a Balkan - But Ashton Artisan's Blend

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That Balkan Sasieni is on my radar.
I'm also comparing reviews from two GL Pease options, Abington and Blackpoint.
Any opinions about these?
Thanks.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Samuel Gawith Balkan Blend
I think you mean Balkan Flake, don't you? :puffy: This isn't a Balkan, no matter what SG calls it - its just latakia and Virginias - no Orientals at all.

The term "Balkan" was used over here for blends that were trying to be like the old Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture of the 1960 and 1970s - sometimes known as Sobranie White. The current version is but a pale shadow of the blend I smoked in the early 1970s.

H&H White Knight is very close to my memory of that legendary blend. Balkan Sasieni, although not as close,is my other fave in the category.

Oh - and Hungary is not in the Balkans. :D

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Geographically, the bottom part of Hungary is part of the Balkan Peninsula. The Gabors were born in Budapest however, and even though that's not part of the Balkan Peninsula, I'll take it as fodder for a really weak joke. :nana:

I think you mean Balkan Flake, don't you? :puffy: This isn't a Balkan, no matter what SG calls it - its just latakia and Virginias - no Orientals at all.

Yes ... I mean Balkan Flake

Agreed it does not contain orientals, but Latakia is grown in the Balkan region, and the virginia for SG Balkan Flake is sourced from Balkan region. Some call it Balkan, others disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.