PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
I'm confused. In this day of new shapes and categories of pipe (Egg, Volcano, Horn, etc) I find it hard to keep up. One question I have is when does a Dublin become a Calabash and vice versa. Is there a "rule of thumb" or some standard? What is a "double" calabash. I have always thought of the Calabash as a gourd pipe with a meerschaum bowl that used to be referred to as a "Sherlock Holmes" style. Now I find wooden full-bent styles called "calabash".

rogers

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 9, 2012
A Dublin has a flat rim, a calabash has a domed rim. At least that's how I see 'em. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, there's no covering that expansive array of shapes in a post. Start with one or two of the shape charts. The shapes you mention are (mostly) not recent but go way back. Except for conservative lines of factory pipes, there is often a blurring of shapes or original takes on them. I agree the gourd Calabash is associated with Sherlock Holmes, because of the series starring Nathan Rathbone, which was selected for its dramatic impact, but I think the pipes described in the original Holmes stories were less theatrical. I notice some of the online retailers don't even pin down shape names, leaving it to the customer to figure it out or ignore it. Many, many pipe shapes are wrongly identified, conspicuously so, especially on smaller online sites.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Just do an image search on google for "briar calabash" and you'll see all the variations. Some makers go to great lengths to imitate the appearance of a gourd calabash, others just have suggested the look of a calabash by adding the domed rim and not much else. None of them actual smoke like a true gourd calabash, although the reverse calabash is supposed to come pretty close.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I agree the gourd Calabash is associated with Sherlock Holmes, because of the series starring Nathan Rathbone, which was selected for its dramatic impact, but I think the pipes described in the original Holmes stories were less theatrical.

He's usually smoking a clay pipe in most stories but a pipe rack with more pipes is referenced a few times plus at least on story that I know of has him smoking a briar pipe but with no shape description or other description.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
the series starring Nathan Rathbone,
Basil Rathbone is the name you're looking for. His version of Holmes always seems to be smoking a bent billiard or a dublin. I think the calabash/Holmes association comes from earlier William Gillette portrayal in Broadway theatrical productions like the one pictured here (although he's smoking a cigar in this shot)

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
This is a Calabash.
Harris, how is that shape distinguished from a bent Rhodesian? Is it the bend in the stem? Those are both incredible pipes, btw. I've seen pics of the Dublin before, and it's a real jaw-dropper.

Like OP, I'm totally mystified by some of these shapes.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Harris, how is that shape distinguished from a bent Rhodesian?
I was thinking the same thing, and this is a dublin.?

687_9805dublin3.jpg

Reactions: rogers and trubka2

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Basil Rathbone is the name you're looking for. His version of Holmes always seems to be smoking a bent billiard or a dublin. I think the calabash/Holmes association comes from earlier William Gillette portrayal in Broadway theatrical productions like the one pictured here (although he's smoking a cigar in this shot)

I saw Jeremy Brett smoking a Calabash in the 80ies / 90ies BBC Holmes series. I forgot the title of the episode, but it takes place in Switzerland. Brett is in my opinion the best Holmes actor...

Sorry for drifting away from
the original topic.

Reactions: logs

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Nah, That one is one of my Bruce Weaver pieces. Hippo tooth was used for the shank accent. He gave me that one and a long shanked acorn when he retired.
Wow, what a present. Nobody ever gives me anything with hippo teeth in it anymore. That really is some pipe. Just the transition and that light cant are feast enough for my eyes that they won't have to eat for a week.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, that Calabash is gorgeous.

As to Mr. Holmes smoking a Calabash out side, literary license!! Even though he was eccentric, I doubt a real guy would do that. Or am I wrong? Calabash smokers, speak up!

Reactions: burleyboy
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Oh, that Calabash is gorgeous.

As to Mr. Holmes smoking a Calabash out side, literary license!! Even though he was eccentric, I doubt a real guy would do that. Or am I wrong? Calabash smokers, speak up!
I dont have a choice.... I always smoke outside... that said.. I wouldn't take my Gourd Calabash on a hike

Reactions: logs
Status
Not open for further replies.