PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
will reeming some of the cake out get rid of shadow or would it be better to ream out all the cake out?
waiting patiently for my new senior pipe reamer to arrive!

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
IMO it's best to approach issues like this gradually, try reaming the bowl down to the thickness you prefer (I like mine fairly thin). If that doesn't do the trick you can always ream it further, but once the cake is gone, it's gone.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Had good luck with reaming, filling th bowl with rock salt and vodka, then letting the pipe sit overnight. Cleaned the pipe out andthen gave it a day to dry. I have done this with 3 pipes that had a bad taste. and it seemed to clear them up like a fresh pipe. Just be careful not to get any alcohol on the outside of the pipe.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
I use an alcohol retort.They can be purchased on ebay for $25.00.It will rid you of the ghosting.I use it on all the (OLD) estates I buy.I read an article on mold inside an old pipe,and I'm sure that as many as I've bought and sold,some of them had it from the smell they had when I received them.In my opinion,an avid cherry smoker's pipe,is worse than the musky smell :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZfxlg5WWGA

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Its fun! Im like a kid at Christmas waiting on an estate pipe.I love all aspects of it

Status
Not open for further replies.