PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pipebuddy

The watch does look much better. The pipe just looks cheap. Very sad to do this to a pipe.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
OK, I'll be perfectly blunt... butt ugly in my opinion and please lets not get into any discussion of what 'art' is. Take that to the Werner Mummert thread. I need the feel of the briar,cob, Meerschaum, etc. in my hand and to feel it's warmth, or possibly if it's getting a tad too warm. That, and aside from the fact that the fit of the whole thing looks terrible. What's next, making an entire pipe with a 3D printer! Thanks, but I'll take my $400 elsewhere and I honestly wouldn't pay $20 for it as I could take the $20 and purchase a couple of quality cobs that look and feel like a pipe should.

Mar 1, 2014
I think if they had used metal it might have been ok, but with the frayed edges on the plastic, well and that it's plastic, it leaves a lot to be desired.

You can get away with an aesthetic like that a lot better if it's shiny. (and not plastic)

(3D printing metal lays a powder just the same, but then uses a laser to melt the pattern.)

Mar 1, 2014
Ohh, and if you used metal you could sand blast the entire thing, giving texture on the Briar and a matte finish on the metal, also cleaning up the burrs.

P

pipebuddy

1 Dunhill, or 1 Ashton Pebble Grain XX and 1 Old Church XX for 30 bucks more, Pipe Monk. I'll take the Ashton's.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like the natural wood look, and if human pretense is to improve on it, the result had better be a lot more aesthetically pleasing and functional than that pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The scaffold thingy (frame around the pipe) takes a medium-small pipe and makes it rather bulky, so though the geometrics catch my eye, it is more like a visual trick than an appealing tobacco pipe. I'm mostly pretty open to odd, original, design-forward pipes, at least as a viewer. I guess as a smoker, I like a pipe that looks and acts comfortable, so the smoke is about me and not the pipe. If I were a pipe club or pipe show guy, I might be drawn to the occasional dramatic pipe, as conversation pieces. Smoking on my own, which I mostly do, a theatrical pipe would just feel peculiar -- it might interfere with my tin foil helmet.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah! mso, you sure have a way with words!
I dislike any straight lines in a pipe, except for those described by some shanks and many stems on straight pipes. And even then it's usually softened by being round for the most part. Well, some panel pipes—in briar—are just fine to my eye.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The first thing that popped into my head was .... BATMAN!
Good analogy. You also have to consider the fact that one can take a piece of crap briar and then merely cover the flaws up with with a hodge-podge of ugly looking plastic and then have the audacity to charge some ridiculous price. I imagine it's only natural to try out new and different things, but I seriously think this idea/design will fall flat on it's ass. Whatever, and to each his own.

Mar 1, 2014
I think a few things need to be considered for perspective here.

This is a variation on an existing design. http://www.tobaccopipes.com/vauen-diamond-3d-printer-made-tobacco-pipe/
And I think they've done worse.

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/vauen-o/

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/vauen-stripe/
But in general their pipes are high quality, and Vauen is probably my favourite brand (they have nice Churchwardens, use acrylic stems, and pretty much everything they sell has a 9mm filter slot).

Mar 1, 2014
That was actually Vauen as well.
They still make some pipes in that line but at least they had enough sense to stop making something so udderly ridiculous

Unfortunately I can't find any links to a cow pipe, so here's something almost as cheesy instead.

http://www.vauen.de/en/pipes/pipeline/pipeline-cheese_cheese.aspx?cid=104&page=0&ref=9

Status
Not open for further replies.