PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
There is some interesting history behind this link
I have no stake in this auction. However, it might be of background interest to my fellow Ser Jacopo afficianodos. As many of you know, Giancarlo Guidi used a "flexible drill" that allowed him to drill air passages on a continuous curve, thus allowing a pipe cleaner to pass through to the bottom of the bowl on stem/shank bends that would seem impossible
The seller's description of this pipe is a little hard to follow, but the maker of this pipe pioneered the technique. Whether Guidi used his exact method and machinery I do not know, but the Ser Jacopo Luciano is a homage to him. Back in the mid 1990's,neverbend sent me copious emails about the early history of Ser Jacopo, from his view as a partner in the US distributor from day one. I am not 100% certain, but this history likely came from him.

I have a couple of flexible shafted drill bits for masonry, and Skip at The Briary is a pipemaker also, and he is always on me about making one for him to use on his pipes.

Hilson also had a few curve-drilled pipes, like...

2F4FA023-A4DB-4C95-8DA1-03078CC874D5_zpstuklx5gj.jpg

Oct 7, 2016
Interesting. I am technically a total novice about these things, but my memory is that neverbend tried to convey to me that Guidi took the flexible shaft idea a step further so that it could be done precisely and repeatedly. Neat looking Hilson, btw.

Flexible shaft cutter are precarious to use. Hilson had to of used the exact same technology, because Skip had a shelf of identical drilled old refurbished Hilsons as the one I posted. Maybe Guidi invented something similar at about the same time? no idea. But, there are no curved flex-shaft cutter bits for wood on the market. You have to make them,and they are all fixed in the diameter of the curve, a new bit for each diameter you want. And, they wear out fast, because of the heat of a woven wire core spinning in a flexible metal shaft. You have to keep them greasy as HELL, or they wear out instantly, and messy, ookey, and gross, covering everything with a thick goopy axle grease of sorts.

Oct 7, 2016
I think Guidi did something so that the process could be done on a less hand intensive basis. It is not just curves, either. I once examined about two dozen extra long shank Ser Jacopo Canadians, lovats, Lumberman's and Liverpool's that a guy working the grey market had brought to the US. Every single draft hole entered the bowl dead center on the bottom. On a 3" shank length Castello 75 or 32 made at that time, you would be lucky if it was drilled anywhere near that well. Guidi came up with something o make the process more reliable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pretty amazing designing something that drills on a curve. If I'd invented that, I would be so pleased I might never work again. Hopefully, I'd have gotten the patent.
My other favorite design item, or a front runner, is an elasticized tennis ball size sphere that constricts until it has deposited its contents (like antibiotics) in the patient, replacing a horrible difficult to operate machine that the patient has to wear. Again, if I'd invented that tennis ball injectable gizmo, I'd be so big-headed, I'd have to carry my head around in a wheelbarrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.