PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Really curious about how oil cured pipes smoke. Jucunda is one. Ferndown is another. Wasn't that supposed to be the big deal about the old Dunhills ? Anybody smoked a Jucunda ? Or a Ferndown ? Is the smoke any better than an otherwise high quality briar without oil treatment ?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've had oil cured Ashtons. They have a mellow nutty flavor for the first few smokes, that I assume is from the oil treatment, but it's much less noticeable later on. I haven't smoked the other brands you mention, but oil curing probably has some impact on the way they smoke, but not a whole lot once you've built up even a small amount of "cake" in the bowl.

Oct 7, 2016
I have several Jucundas. Along with Castellos, they are, for me, excellent smokes from the very first bowl. Very pleased with the ones I have. YMMV

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My SJ isn't oil-cured that I know. My Ferndown (courtesy of a Forums member) is an excellent smoke. I don't know how much to attribute that to oil-curing. It does have a definite feel of solidity without much weight, if that is any clue. It burns cool.

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
Ferndown is an excellent smoke but whether that is from the oil curing or not I cannot say. I have smoked all manner of briar pipes - some were great from day one, others were a beast to break in but became favorites, other never really did it for me and either got sold or just ignored. It may be my simple palate but I’ve never been able to discern an oil cured pipe from any other.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pepe', you jarred my memory. When Iwan Ries sourced its house pipes from Benton, which was a subset of Edwards I believe, they were Algerian briar, and likely oil cured. I have three of those fine house pipes, and they are still great smokers after many years. I have a Canadian, maybe a Group 5, but noticeably light weight. I also have a small Group 3 bent billiard, almost an Oom-Paul, as well as a Group 4 billiard. House pipes from name retailers are usually quite good, since they propose to recruit pipe smokers, not just sell a pipe that day.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I fired up a Ferndown *** SG last week for its first time and from the first pipe it smoked great (now been smoked 4 times in total).
That being said though my new Savinellis (not oil cured) seem to smoke well from the 1st or 2nd smoke so there may not be a great influence from the oil curing.

Status
Not open for further replies.