PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hi all,
After two years of not touching a pipe, I have decided to officially "hang up my hat" with this hobby. Nothing terrible or anything, I was quite fond of it. I found between a busy career, grad school, and two little kids I was never touching a pipe. And likely for years to come- it will be hard to find those times to do so (I have many other hobbies I'm invested in). so, I made a personal choice to draw the line somewhere, and this hobby is really one that benefits only me...so I'm letting it go. I've sold most my pipe tobacco (still have about 3.5 pounds of aged H&H Anni Kake and Marble Kake I'm trying to get off my hands!). I've kept a few jars of this and that for an occasional pipe here and there- and when its gone its gone. I'll be selling some pipes but will keep a few for nostalgia.
What I do want to say is some form of goodbye. I haven't been real active the last couple years- but I've really enjoyed this community. So welcoming, so kind, and so enjoyable. Before the kids, my nightly routine was a gin & tonic and perusing the forums and I sure did enjoy that. I will miss it for sure. I'll also miss mowing the lawn with earbuds listening to the pipesmagazine radioshow.
To everyone - blessings and peace. I may lurk around here and there, but once I've sold my remaining tobacco and pipes, I'll probably go mostly dark. I hope you all know great joy, and continue this amazing community!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
That is a wonderful message and send off @tarak. Your reasons are sound. But glad you are keeping a few pipes. Who knows what will happen in the future. Good to always have a pipe or two around just in case you go fishing or something and want to splurge.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Or you could stay with us and post, as if you hadn't quit, like I do. Whatever, may you be at peace!

Jan 8, 2013
Blessings, Tarak. If you get the itch we're just a mouse click or two away. But if not, may your life be full of fun, peace, love, and blessings.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Tobacco ages, pipes become Estate pipes. It's all good. Great idea to hold onto some keepsakes, whether you smoke them or not. If I ever give up the hobby I'd probably do the same. Keep on keepin' on!

The one thing I hear at The Briary and on here the most often is that returning to the hobby after a decade, they wish they had never given or sold off everything. Your kids will grow up faster that you can even imagine. Hell, it seems like just yesterday I was learning how to change a diaper. You will be an empty-nester sooner than you imagine, with plenty of time to smoke on your porch and reflect of how damned fast everything went by.
My advice is that it would be a huge mistake to get rid of everything. Just set it aside for now. Everything will cost twice to three times as much when your kids graduate. Plus, can you imagine how good 16 or 18 year old Annie Cake is going to taste?

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
As usual, I'm with Cosmic, my own experience as case in point (quitting due to having to have teeth pulled for dentures 20+ annae ago, then picking the hobby up again relatively recently). Don't unload *every*thing, especially if you've got some old high-line pipes. Replacing those with equivalent quality will be an arm & a leg down the road, & the new ones will NEVER have as good a vibe as the ones you held dear from BITD. Time goes faster than we like to think. Take some advantage of it & have your current dear ones to enjoy when the time comes again. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tarak, Thanks for the heads up on your signing off, for a while anyway. I always enjoyed your posts when you were a regular. My dad, now gone, quit his pipe cold turkey at age 65 to accommodate a career and job change, since his habit was to smoke pretty much all day, and the new work place, a college, was non-smoking. He'd smoked much of the day, everyday from teenage on. So I can understand life choices. I started smoking, only pipes, in my thirties and quit in solidarity with my late wife who quit a multi-pack cigarette habit, no known relation to her final illness. So yes, you have to go with your life, commitments, and instincts. I'd save at least a solid rotation of pipes, dried and packed carefully. I left mine (not too many) around as decor. Cellar some tobacco properly stored. You might take it up later or do it for special occasions. Good luck. Stop by anytime and give us an update ... on life, not necessarily smoking. I think Forums is equally about the people and the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.