PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
As the title suggests I'm looking for some suggestions. I don't have time to sit for long periods for a smoke and am often on the go. I would say most of my smokes are in the 15-20 minute range. I have a couple of pipes with what I would call regular sized bowls since I don't know the exact dimensions. I've been in the habit of just packing less in the bowl so that I don't waste my tobacco. Does anyone have any suggestions on a pipe that would be well suited for quick smokes like these?

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
For my shorter smokes I tend to use a MM Mizzou or a clay. I do have a couple of the Mini Legends too, but prefer a longer pipe.

Reactions: smsnider.ns

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pipebeast, you have a number of options. There is a long, long list of good small pipes, some designed as pocket pipes, and many others in various shapes, price levels, materials, and finishes. You have the option of using a medium size (Group 4) or larger and simply smoking in increments. Just be careful to store the pipe in a safe, dry place, where it won't start a fire -- in an ashtray or crockery bowl, etc. Nearly all the major brands of pipes offer smaller bowl pipes. Iwan Ries offers a good selection of solid French Ewa pipes at excellent prices, churchwardens and others, with small bowls. Peterson has its Belgium rustique and smooth pipe in a Group 1. MM cobs has the Huck Finn and Old Dominion (with reed stems) has the Chesapeake Bay. This merely scratches the surface. I would not suggest the vest pocket pipes with the folding swivel stems, because many small pipes are as portable without this gimmick, but some folks really like them. So you have a world of options. Small pipes are great for sampling tobacco at pipe shows or pipe shops, for judicious sampling of extra strong tobaccos, as well as for quick smokes. Also remember, flake/plug/coin/or rope will give you a significantly longer smoke in a small bowl. You can make this work in any size pipe. Incremental smoking is pleasant because you don't have to pack the pipe for every smoke. Just don't use very moist tobacco, and be sure to clean the pipe well when you finally do empty the bowl.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The one you just filled. You can let it go out any time! But if you actually plan in advance, I would have to go with a cob.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've got this Peterson Calabash for quick smokes.
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5800/d814b/products/1232/images/37912/Peterson_Calabash_Rustic_Briar_Fishtail_kit__57755.1425418411.350.350.jpg?c=2

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I use a number of pipes for quick smokes...
My favorite is the Mr. Brog "motor." it's $17 plus shipping on eBay. Pear Wood. I love these pipes. I smoke them all the time. You can get a briar version for $35.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTSTANDING-Mr-Brog-original-smoking-pipe-nr-56-RED-034-MOTOR-034-GREAT-GIFT-/151565035284
I also have more expensive ones... tsgue, il duca.
Again, cobs are a great bang for the buck...
If you want to be ultra stylish, rx2man here on the forums makes these great bamboo squat bulldog/Rhodesians @$145

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
For the price - picking up a Huck Finn is almost a no-brainer. Thanks guys.
LastTango I'm interested in which Tsuge model you have. I've been looking at Tsuge pipes for a while.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
I like my Big Ben Bora pipe for a shorter smoke.

pbbbon-pf-1003.png

This always comes up, and I am always surprised that more folks don't just suggest that he pack less in a regular bowl. Me, I just pack a regular bowl, smoke it for 15 minutes (if that's all the time I have), put the pipe in my pocket, and smoke the rest latter.

I smoke my tiniest pipes for about as long as my largest bowls, and my pipes range from .5" diameter to 1,25" diameter, and I have shallow pipes and chimneys.
I had a thread before about how the size of the bowl is less important than the depth. Shallow but narrow bowls can smoke just as long as a regular bowl for me. And, the shortest I find is a wide, yet shallow bowl... but all of that said, if you smoke a tiny bowl faster, it is just like smoking a larger bowl... less taste, less nicotine, hot steamy tongue burn, bite, and no relaxation from the process.

This is why cigarettes came about. Pipe guys would get too busy, and roll a cig from their tobaccos to get a quick fix.

Nah, I'd just rather smoke a regular pipe and just span out the duration of the smoke with the delayed gratification that comes from relighting a cold bowl.

YMMV :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.