PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What cosmic says, more eloquently than my post above.
I wouldn't buy a pipe just to have a smaller bowl. But if you really liked it (whatever it might be), for other reasons, go for it.
I keep a leather or plastic pipe bag in the car so I can stick a burning pipe into it, and the lack of oxygen will make it go out all the quicker. Then it's quite ready for a quick fire up at the next stop. I smoke in my car when alone, but not with wife, nor in her car.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Most of my pipes are 11/16" x 1.25" on the bowls. That lasts about an hour more or less depending on how dry it is and how it's cut. I always load them exactly the same and smoke as much of it as I have time for...

A neat trick... when I am about to walk into a store, or put my pipe out for any reason, I just put my hand or fingers over the bowl creating a seal and draw in on the stem, causing a vacuum in the bowl for a few seconds. This quickly extinguishes the fire in the pipe, leaving a nice clean tobacco bowl to relight and carry on after my interruption. I usually tuck an extinguished pipe in my shirt pocket.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I like the extinguishing trick!
I regularly smoke my pipes in instalments, and just set my pipes aside when I've reached a certain level of contentment (even with small bowled pipes). However, I have often revisited pipes to discover they've kept smouldering after I've set them down, and there's not been a lot to come back to. I'll certainly have to give the oxygen starvation trick a try.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, good so see that- I tried it a while ago when Michael posted it months ago, and promptly forgot about it! Will try to incorporate it into my bag of hacks, though the pouch works fine, and keeps ash out of my pocket. The two together should be unassailable!!

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I have a Kaywoodie campus pipe that was actually produced and marketed for short smokes between classes. I don't love it, as I rarely crave short smokes, and, because of this, I have never built up any sort of cake to help out the smoke. It also doesn't have a screw in stinger, but rather a pointed stinger common in many pipes today. I've also found that I am not a fan of relights. I don't know why, but here recently, I have found that it tastes very ashy to me to relight a pipe after it has be extinguished for any length of time. Therefore, I guess I just waste tobacco, as every time I fill a pipe, unless I am trying to break one in, I fill it up and smoke until I stop enjoying it. Sorry, as I know this doesn't really help, but these are my experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.