PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Great! I may grab a bag of them then.
Thanks for the tobacco suggestion mctrav. I'll check it out!
Also, has anyone heard of Lorenzo pipes? This one looks beautiful to me and for under $50:
http://pipesandcigars.com/losppibemame.html#.UOtJKuR9KuI
It has a matte finish, made in Italy. It is made of Briar w/ a Meerschaum lined bowl and a vulcanite stem.
What do you guys think?

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
roth, I really can't afford those Lorenzos right now.. much less 2-3 of them!
So, the Lorenzo I posted may not be as high quality? What about the Meerschaum in the bowl? Positives/negatives?

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Lots of good suggestions and people are leading you down the right path, but, and it has already been said to some degree, don't expect this new pipe to suddenly make the difference. That Medico might not be expensive, but it's likely that, in the hands of someone with proper smoking technique, it would be a fine smoker. Just because you pay a little more for a pipe, it won't necessarily cover your technique flaws. I have several Dr. Grabows, newer/cheaper Kaywoodies and a Medico and they generally smoke just fine and sometimes just as well as a $150 pipe, when I pay attention to what I'm doing.
Good luck on your search. It's always exciting to get a new pipe, but don't forget to focus on the technique.
Cheers!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
One thing about the Naturals that Roth recommended, maybe it is my imagination, but they feel a lot cooler in my hand when smoking than the shiney high varnished/painted ones. They don't start out as "Pretty" but they smoke well to me. Crap, now I want another one.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks fellas.
At this point, from your suggestions and knowledge, I think the Nording natural pipe is in the number one spot right now. Followed by the Sav I mentioned well above (not the natural). Followed by either a Tsuge or the Lorenzo.
I believe I'd be happy with any of them. The main reason I want another pipe is because of the small bowl size of m Medico. And if I'm getting another one, I figured it might as well be a decent one made by a trusted brand.
But oh yes, I know I definitely need to work on my technique. I am beginning to pick up on some things that work for me, so.. that's a good sign I would say.
Also, what would you guys suggest as some good tobaccos to steer away from the aros? I've heard that English blends tend to have a lot more flavor than aros.
Thanks again and again, good sirs!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
As a newer smoker, I would say try a little bit of everything, budget allowing of course, to find what you like. I only smoke a limited number of aromatics. So many don't seem to have any real flavor. The Boswell aromatics seem better at that. I do enjoy their Berry Cobbler on occasion. I also will smoke 1Q or Erinmore Flake regularly. Frog Morton was suggested as a good intro to English/latakia and I think it's as good a place to start as any. I tend to smoke English blends more than any other major type of tobacco. Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raliegh, and Walnut, a personal favorite, are often found at the local drug store or corner shop and are all more than worthy of consideration. For me Virginia and VA/Pers took the longest to get used to, though now I do enjoy them. I like Anniversary Kake from H&H, Luxury Bullseye Flake and Orlik Golden Slice. The nice thing about getting a bag of cobs is not having to worry too much about ghosting a more expensive pipe. Particularly if you go down the road of the last major tobacco category, Lakeland! I've only enjoyed a few more subtle examples like Condor and the rather mild Lakeland Brickle from H&H, but I enjoy the floral, almost reminds me of rye bread in a way, notes of those two, particularly Condor. Man, I love Condor! Anyway, there are many options now as you figure out what you like. Speaking of Lakeland, if you want a real kick in the pants, that leans towards the heavy tonquin flavoring side of things, pick up some 1792 Flake. Smoke it carefully...you have been warned!

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Brewshooter,
I'll keep your post in mind when I make up some shopping carts full of tobacco soon!
Thanks!

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion roth!
The Nording is winning the battle right now, the only thing is that I can't find any measurements. I want a medium-largish sized bowl, but the picture looks somewhat small to me.

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks roth!
Will do! You've been a great help, as have the rest of you!
Will post the pipe that I decide on right here once I do.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Philip - as it turns out, I have a Nording just like that one at Finck's. CupoJoe's also has one though it costs more, but their pic might give you a better idea of size: http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=norsgs00m
I can measure mine if you want - it's bigger than most cobs, about a Group4 in Dunhillspeak.
hp

les

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks lestrout! Hmmmm, the bowl does seem to be fairly tall. Probably twice the height of my Medico.. and at $20 cheaper over at Finck's.. I may just pick it up.
Also, just to let you guys know, a site member has volunteered to send me a pipe and some samples of tobacco free of charge! He is sending me a nice pipe that may have a couple of imperfections, but he has buffed it up for me and I am excited to see the final product! He is sending it out tomorrow, so I will be anxiously awaiting the package. He has been nothing but helpful and hospitable, just like the rest of the members here.

Status
Not open for further replies.