Search on Site

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pflan

Jan 3, 2013
Okay, so I'm 21 and I was smoking a cheap pipe I picked up from my cigar shop a couple of years ago, until I got a new girlfriend and she didn't really like the idea, so of course I threw it straight into the trash can.. I know, I know, you can dog on me for doing that. But, now a couple of years later, we have been through a lot and have come to love one another and plan to get married in the near future. Now, she says she doesn't mind me getting another pipe, so I went to the cigar shop and picked up a Medico straight pipe 100% briar wood with a small bowl and some tobacco. I then did some research (too late, huh?) and realized that my Medico pipe really isn't a very quality pipe and could be hampering the enjoyment of my smokes.
So, I have been searching through here and had decided to pick up a nice Boswell pipe, but at $80-$180.. I really won't be able to afford one of those for a good while. I'm going to pick up a couple of corn cobs to start a rotation with, but can you guys suggest some pipes that are just as good as the Boswells for a little less? Maybe in the $40-$75 range?
Also looking for some good aromatics, as I am not really impressed with the blends from the cigar shop (some blends he has in a jar, one called M-1 and the other called HS-3). Any suggestions? Boswell tobacco a good way to go there?
I have also never tried an English blend and really want to try one or two to see if I would be interested, so any suggestions there would be awesome, too.
Thanks ahead of time fellas!

judcole

Preferred Member
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
First, welcome to the forum.
For that price range, I would check out our advertisers who sell estate pipes and see what you can find. You could easily come up with a nice pipe in that range.
A lot of guys like the Frog Morton series and recommend them as first English blends. I personally don't care for 'em, but you might. My personal faves on "all-day" English blends are Peterson's Old Dublin or Sam Gawith's Squadron Leader.

flmason

Preferred Member
Oct 8, 2012
Boswell pipes are good but they sell out quickly when new ones are added to their website.
Savinelli is a good pipe and is priced less than $100 for some of their different lines.
You might want to consider joining the NASPC:
www.naspc.org
Some of the site sponsors offer discounts to members on pipes.
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Doug

gwynclan

Jan 18, 2012
+1 on sav's and estates. Boswell tobaccos are top notch. Wish Internet was big when I started. Hopefully you have less learning curve.

Welcome and Cheers

Gwynclan

pflan

Jan 3, 2013
Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys!
I will look into some Savinelli and Petersons.. not sure about the estate pipes. I wouldn't really know what to look for to know if it's in good smoking condition and would definitely not know how to do any repairs.
Any more suggestions for pipes/tobacco are welcome!

pflan

Jan 3, 2013
Thanks flint! I'll check those out!
So a member messaged me and told me to check out some estate pipes on this website: www.jamesislandpiper.com
Are any of you familiar with this guy? Good/bad experiences?
Should I swing for a nice estate pipe or a new one from there? If Estate, are there any name brands on the site I should steer clear from?
This is a new Savinelli he has listed for only around $50:
http://www.jamesislandpiper.com/store.php?seller=JamesIslandPiper&navt1=110811&navt2=110865&navt3=112626&pd=4929041
Is this a decent pipe?
Thanks!

pflan

Jan 3, 2013
OR would this Peterson be a better buy?
http://www.jamesislandpiper.com/store.php?seller=JamesIslandPiper&navt1=110811&navt2=110864&sort=price&pd=4890373

lestrout

Preferred Member
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Welcome to our predeliction. Both of those JIP pipes look very good indeed. I've gotten pipes from DonS there and he is a pleasure to deal with.
hp

les

pflan

Jan 3, 2013
Thanks lestrout!
So I can't really go wrong with either huh? Thanks a lot! Good to have some justification for my order, and it helps so much to have people that are knowledgeable about the subject. I have learned the pipe smoking is really more of a lifestyle than a hobby. It seems that it takes years to really learn your own way to do things and to know what you like. I love the idea of this being an ever-changing, lifelong experience. Thanks for the help, guys!
Keep any & all suggestions coming!
Philip

pflan

Jan 3, 2013
Hi rothnh,
Thanks for the links! I like the shape of the pipes AND the price, but for some reason that "natural" look just isn't doing it for me.
I just came across this one:
http://store.pipesandcigars.com/bjviclpopiap1.html#.UOpBMOR9KuI
What do you think?

pflan

Jan 3, 2013
Although.. the looks of the Nording is kind of growing on me. It also says that the finish will age and darken.. So that could be a possibility.

cajundad

Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
Great pipe suggestions , as for Aromatic tobacco , Boswells , 1q , and trout stream are great IMO ! Boswells magnum is a good light English , and northwoods is also great ! Welcome to the forum !

tjameson

Preferred Member
Jun 16, 2012
I'd also recommend the Tsuge pipes on smokingpipes.com. I'm really enjoying mine and it was $60.

pflan

Jan 3, 2013
Hmmmm, I am liking the look of those Tsuge pipes. My decision is getting harder and harder. Financially, I am only in a position to purchase one pipe between $40-75 and then a couple of cheap corn cobs to get a rotation going.
Also, I think I will make an order of about 5-6 blends from Boswell's pretty soon.
Keep the pipe recommendations coming, fellas! Having a tough time deciding between the Savinelli I listed above, the natural Nording that roth recommended, and one of the Tsuge pipes as of right now.

brdavidson

Preferred Member
Dec 30, 2012
I have two Brigham's, and they're a great quality pipe made in Canada that are very reasonably priced. I have this particular one and paid a lot more for it up here in Canada! http://pipesandcigars.com/brvopi1ruap.html

pflan

Jan 3, 2013
Hmmm.. so really, any of these pipes will smoke much better than my cheap little Medico?

pflan

Jan 3, 2013
Hmmmm.. maybe something like this would work.. I'd have plenty for a rotation, plus some to keep in storage!
http://corncobpipe.com/index.php/specials/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html
But yeah, I'm still deciding between a Nording, a Sav, a Bjarne, and a Tsuge for a nice briar.