PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Just finished my second tamper. This time I made it a little smaller as the first one won't quite fit all my bowls. This one will fit into all the ones I have, I think, except for my Huck Finn. I think the grain looks really awesome on this stuff.
20181022_231036-600x291.jpg

20181022_231106-600x291.jpg

20181022_232501-600x420.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Anthony! I think this is a little better size. The first one got down about 1/3 of the way on my country gent today and my Sleepy Hollow went out twice within a minute and I could not figure out why, then I realized that the diameter was a little too big, but I hate to change it. Works great in the meer, my Grabow and a few others, just not the cobs.
Thanks Scott, I just really love working with wood. Feels satisfying to make something.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Those look really good! Great work! I have only used the simple nail and Czech tool, but I can see the joy using one that looks like that! Nicer than some of the pipes I own.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Siiiick! And if you ever realize you are a super assassin with amnesia and people start attacking you...improvised weapon!
Seriously though, nice work. Beautiful grain.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I think a new carver is coming into being. Called it first! :clap:
Glad you think so, but might be a while. I'm starting out at the very bottom using very meager, yet productive tools. My Dremel is sure getting a heck of a work out! Hopefully I can increase my arsenal as time goes along.
Haha could be! Great work on that tamper sir.
Thank you sir! I truly appreciate it!
Those look really good! Great work! I have only used the simple nail and Czech tool, but I can see the joy using one that looks like that! Nicer than some of the pipes I own.
Yeah, I really just wanted something more unique to tamp with. Almost everyone uses a czech tool or pipe nail, including me. I watch a lot of the Bremen Pipe Smoker videos and he always has these most excellent tampers that he makes, so I thought, why the hell not. He's got some woods I haven't been able to find yet, but I will at some point. Would love to get my hands on some of that bog oak he uses.
That looks good. Keep making them and start making more pipes too lol
I do plan on it! I'm kinda hooked on carving briar now, after my first version, but I really want access to a good lathe or to be able to get my own some day. For now, I could be satisfied buying the kits and carving them up and maybe getting a fellow pipe club member who has a lot of stem blanks teach me how to turn my own stems. The ones on the kit work, but they're just so bland.
Siiiick! And if you ever realize you are a super assassin with amnesia and people start attacking you...improvised weapon!
Seriously though, nice work. Beautiful grain.
You know? I could be! I mean, who knows what's hidden in my brain covered in dust and cob webs! :lol:
Thanks again! This Zebrawood does have some really nice grain. It's always a surprise too, as the dark grain doesn't always reveal itself until you're carving it. The smell isn't the most pleasant, but nothing like a good pipe filled with Sleepy Hollow burning slow won't fix. :puffy:
Fantastic talent you have. Are these going up for sale or just hobby.
I appreciate that! Right now, they're more of in a hobby/practice/developing technique and for personal use until I get better and learn what works and what doesn't for carving them out. Also, I'm experimenting with different woods as I go. Who knows, maybe I'll start selling some of them once they look really good and I get better/faster at producing them. Might could even send a few out that I make to get rid of them at some point so they're not cluttering up the work space. :lol:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks! I really love how the zebra wood looks with the darker grain. Putting the spiral on it made the grain shine even more. It's a great wood to work with as you don't really know what to expect when you carve it, until you do, and then the grain just surprises you.

Status
Not open for further replies.