Second Pipe: Savinelli Spring And Tobacco Haul (Pics!)

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

misterzombie

Dec 30, 2012
My second (and third!) order just came in from pipesandcigars.com. MUCH better than the previous order as far as delivery goes. So as I suspected, it was definitely a holiday issue. This one came in extremely fast and with regular shipping.
My order consisted of some new tobacco's that were recommended by this forum -- I have now quite a bit of a collection -- and my new Savinelli Spring Liscia 628 pipe, which is my second briar pipe I now proudly own!
Tobacco's I purchased are:

• Dunhill Nightcap
  • H&H Black House
  • LL 1Q
  • H&H Victorian Stroll

Here is a picture of my new pipe. I love the warm tone of the wood and beautiful grain:

And here is a picture of the Sav Spring 628 compared to my Wellington Billiard:

misterzombie

Dec 30, 2012
Just a quick Q. To break in my Wellington, after each smoke to the bottom of the bowl I shake up the ashes inside and then dump the rest (as you can see in the 3rd pic), am I supposed to simply leave it as such along the walls to build the cake? Or am I supposed to be wiping out the ash after a designated amount of time?
And thanks! :puffpipe:

hans

Dec 3, 2012
Hey zombie, nice haul.

You should definitely wipe the walls of the pipe after. I would run a pipe cleaner through the stem till clean, then fold it in half to wipe the walls and then you're good.

misterzombie

Dec 30, 2012
Hans, then my question is, what is the point of shaking up the ashes if you're just going to wipe them out? I do clean out my stem frequently. I'm just wondering about this breaking in/cake building technique :)

misterzombie

Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Roth for the clarification on this technique :) I have been doing exactly that, cleaning the stem/shank and removing excess ash/dottle. I just wasn't sure if I was supposed to keep the powdery ash along the walls too permanently or wipe them out after x amount of time.

cigrmaster

Preferred Member
May 26, 2012
United States
That is a great looking Sav and some very nice tobacco choices. I hope you enjoy them all.
I am sorry but I do not believe that ash does anything to build cake. I also think leaving ash in your bowl will make the next one taste like crap, of course this is just my opinion and opinions always vary. When I am done smoking here is my ritual. I make sure the pipe is cool then I break it down. I will take a puffy cleaner double it and run it around the inside of the pipe making sure I get all the ash. I then blow through the shank making sure I get anything that the pipe cleaner left behind. I then take a bristle pipe cleaner and double it. I will then put it in the shank and move it back and forth a bunch of times. I will repeat this until the cleaner comes clean, it usually takes three bristle cleaners before I am happy. I then take a bristle cleaner and run it through the stem. I then take a fluffy cleaner and run it through the stem, the fluffy's soak up moisture better then the bristle. I then put the pipe together and put it in the rack to rest for at least one day. If it is a new pipe and I am breaking it in, I will smoke it every other day until a nice cake has formed. Since I smoke va and vaper flakes, it usually takes only 15 bowls or so.

gwtwdbss

Preferred Member
Jun 13, 2012
That is is nice haul indeed zombie. Congratulations on your pipe and tobacco acquisitions!

pauljmjr

Sep 8, 2012
Nice haul. I too smoke Black House and Nightcap. And I actually just ordered my first Savinelli. Should be here Wednesday, along with some Frog Morton Cellar. Can't wait.

shaintiques

Preferred Member
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah I agree with cigarmaster, i wipe the ash out with an alcohol dipped pipe cleaner after my smoke, and I still build cake. Cake building occurs during the smoke itself.

rhogg

Jun 14, 2011
Savinelli makes excellent pipe. Their QC is great IMO for mass production. Other pipes in the same price range I sometimes have reservations about. All my Save are great smokers .