PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have had problems with the search too. If you search Ganneval, Bondier Donninger you'll get four GBD results. You can't search BBB either.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and aquadoc

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Is there any fix for this coming? Casual's suggestion is great but what about an internal fix?
They might be able to eliminate the character count or make it 2 rather than 3 letter minimum.

I used to be on a Vw forum that had the same problem. 2 of my cars are GTI’s however you couldn’t search the term “GTI” because it is only 3 letters.

Aug 1, 2012
I understand the frustration. However I've found that crappy search features are a thing in most forums. Not really much that can be done about it internally so honestly the best solution is to use a search engine with the terms suggested above. It sucks but that's how it goes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah I'll try to bring it up to the boss.

I tried to search for the thread "old man and old pipe" and it said it couldn't search for words "old, man, and" so my search was just for the word "pipe" ....lol lots of results as you could imagine!

Google is faster than any forum search engine.

Old Man And Old Pipe :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/old-man-and-old-pipe.56272/

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I searched for "GBD pipe" and in the results it stated that "The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: GBD."

But it still included GBD anyway :LOL:

laugh1.jpg

Reactions: rushx9 and jpmcwjr

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Crappy search engines seem to be a feature of all the forums I'm a member of so I guess it's an inherent feature of the underlying software and not really something the administrators can fix themselves.

I used to keep trying the built in search features but now I just use my default browser search engine and since most browsers will let you enter a search into the url bar (rather than have to first go to a search engine page) it's actually only a case of clicking to open a new tab for the search rather than clicking in the search box at the top of the forums.

Also - this works on my Mac and Linux machines so I guess it works on Windows too - if you're searching for something that is in the post you are reading; just highlight the word(s) and then right click and halfway down the list of options should be something like 'Search DuckDuckGo for "search text..."'.

(Obviously, if your default search engine is Google then it will list Google and not DuckDuckGo...)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Google is faster than any forum search engine.

Old Man And Old Pipe :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/old-man-and-old-pipe.56272/

Yeah that's how I had to find it was Google. Lol

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
As said most site search engine's are a joke, which to me makes no sense as owners ought care that their customers find what they want. The software utility can't be that expensive.

Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.