PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Strange I've never heard of that other than maybe one time. Good to be aware! I have only 5 Square tins in the cellar, the rest is jars. But I much prefer the way there square tins tale up less space.... Guess I won't be buying any more....looks like bulk pounds from here on out! (Cheaper that way anyway)

Yeah, Jesse (sablebrush) rants about it all the time so after I had that ODF tin pop I figured what the hell, it can't hurt. I'd rather seal for an hour than have to rehydrate something. But in all likelihood it is overkill, I'm sure it's a rare occurence. To be honest I needed a little break from my 6 month old so I plopped her in mommy's lap and used this as an excuse.

Teething sucks.

I agree about the square tins, I much prefer how they stack and fit in my cellar (a dresser) drawers and are much more discreet when being packed about.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't blame ya, when I got my order today I got excited about jarring it up. Jarred the 8oz of Pegasus immediately, and will do the pound of Briar fox tonight. Then I gotta find room for it somewhere.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Jarred the 8oz of Pegasus immediately,

I'll have to try that one soon. Heard a lot of positive stuff on the forums.

I picked up a tin of Bothy Flake at The Briary that ended up not having a seal. But, when I opened it, there were only about six flakes left... so, I just assumed someone had pilfered it in the store.

Bothy flake is one of only two tins I didn't seal this go round, because I'll be opening it shortly. Excited to try it. Strange buy, that's one high class thief! haha.

I had a tin of ODF plug arrive unsealed a couple weeks ago myself, but the tobacco inside was still fine, I'm guessing it happened during shipping.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Not to rain on your parade but the integrity of those plastic bags over a long period of time isn't very good. Were I going to go to the trouble, I'd do it with Mylar bags.

Correct me if I am wrong,
If they pop and they are in the mylar bag then they won't be exposed to oxygen as the are sealed and will continue to age without drying out?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I don't have a permanent storage cabinet or location at the moment so I put everything I'm not getting to anytime soon in mylar an then a plastic tote to help protect it when I move it around.

Maybe redo them when I get some mylar, idk.

No need to redo. Just drop the whole plastic bag into a mylar bag. ?

Correct me if I am wrong,
If they pop and they are in the mylar bag then they won't be exposed to oxygen as the are sealed and will continue to age without drying out?

I believe the idea is that it will be a limited amount of oxygen. I'd actually be more worried about it drying out than a little bit of oxygen although I do toss a small oxygen absorber in the mylar bag prior to sealing.

It may or may not be worth it to do any of what I do, it's just what I do. I'm funny that way...

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I seal in the same vacuum bags that you use. It's easy to see if the seal is compromised since it loses it's vacuum. I sealed up some Esoterica bags this weekend and checked all my other bags. I had two that had lost their seal so I redid them.

I only seal boxes and bags though. I do not seal my tins. I have square tins that are aged from this month to 10 years old. I have a Butera Pelican square tin that looks to still be sealed that is 19 years old. I guess I'm not to worried about tins popping the seal. I have never had that happen. The percentage of failure isn't worth the effort to seal them for me.

Now if I start getting into tins that have lost their seal I might look at doing something about it then. Most of my tins and bulk get inspected about once a year.

Good luck.

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.