PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
https://apnews.com/f4be8c2a5365498c8c3cdebc2381b8a2/Seal-opens-dialogue-with-listeners-on-'Standards'-album
Interesting take on his new album, looking at the old classics.
“I feel that because so much emphasis is on storytelling and the ability of the great singers of these standards — the Sinatras, the Fitzgeralds, the Nat King Coles — and the ability of these great singers, these great voices, to carry this narrative, to tell the story — everything is focused on that. ... If that is not intact, everything else falls to pieces,” Seal said. “It has to be dialogue. ... That kind of seems to be the theme with me at the moment -- both kind of personally and professionally.”
His 10th studio album was recorded at Capitol Records in Los Angeles, with a band that included musicians who performed alongside Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald. The 54-year-old British crooner has been more focused on storytelling in his own songwriting since delving into the classics songbook.
“It taught me relaxation, slowing down, and having to be more reflective and focused again on this thing of the narrative. Because that’s really what resonates with people,” he said.
Do we have a singer one step away from smoking a pipe or what?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The part you highlighted would suggest that. But good for pipe smokers too. The stereotype is of a reflective bunch to whom the music would appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.