PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So yesterday I went out fishing with a friend. The water here is pretty cold. Something between 45-50 degrees so I could feel it even through my fleece lined jeans. Well anyway, we were going back into the stream and my friend went into the river a little ahead of me and I tried to follow except the rock I chose to step on was at a steep angle so took a bit of a swim. Soaked everything I was wearing, thought I was going into shock but my breathing evened out after I got my wet shirt and hoodie off. I could have used a pipe right then but didn't bring it with me so I had to get the next best thing, a beer. However, if I was really in any real trouble there was luckily multiple paramedics/firemen there doing white water training.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Very glad to hear you are safe, and that you had beer (and help) nearby. I fell through the ice as a kid and am still apprehensive 40 years later to walk on ice. I still walk on it, just very carefully.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Close one! 8O
You did the right thing by stripping off the wet clothes immediately.
I had to get completely "In the Buff" in front of some strangers once to keep from freezing.

They were classy enough to not stare at least! LOL

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Glad your alright! Few years ago I was out duck hunting and fell through some thin ice that was past my head. Once I got out I was able to continue hunting for about another 2 hours. All thanks to some thermals I picked up online at Cabelas! They were pricey, but worth every penny. Kept all my own body heat in and never got cold.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Glad you're alright. Hopefully you had extra clothes or a coat in the car.
I had a thin hoodie with me, had to get the rest at a nearby target. I was pissed mostly because my thick warm hoodie got soaked.
Glad your alright! Few years ago I was out duck hunting and fell through some thin ice that was past my head. Once I got out I was able to continue hunting for about another 2 hours. All thanks to some thermals I picked up online at Cabelas! They were pricey, but worth every penny. Kept all my own body heat in and never got cold.
ECWCS? I've always had my eye on them but they're just too expensive for me, even with my discount.
Hip or chest waders are a must when stream fishing/wading, and a good staff.
I had chest waders on... no wader belt however. A staff I never would have thought about. Not something I'd think of when fishing.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
As a very avid fisherman, stocking waders, with felt lined boots are a must for any river with a lot of slimy slippery rocks. I fish big rivers for salmon and the difference between these waders and the ole rubber boot waders is huge. I always have my fold up staff attached to the back of my vest. Just last summer we lost a fisherman who got pulled under and went 2 miles down a river. It was determined he hit his head on a rock while floating down the river. Before my staff, I had ruined an Orvis rod by being forced to use it for balance.
Be careful on the rivers boys, problem with age is, we remember how we easily traversed rivers, yet with age, the mind remembers, yet the body isn't as agile.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Been there bubba. It truly is a shock to the core. Glad you're okay, growing up on the Great Lakes and the rivers that feed them I have seen some horrible cold water accidents. Doesn't take the body long to give up the ghost in freezing water...

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I could have used a pipe right then but didn't bring it with me
Glad to hear it was just a close call. Stay safe end next time bring a pipe and tobacco in a waterproof container.
Oh yeah, don't forget the matches!

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I learned to waterski before I learned to swim and spent most of my free time on or in the water during my childhood. My father and I have never forgotten those happy days spent on a pristine Scottish Loch. I've never been afraid of water. About ten years ago I went swimming in rural Japan and was drifting down a river in the most beautiful countryside. The river went from rather deep to about 4ft deep extremely quickly as I hit rapids I hadn't been told about and I had to grab onto a rock to stop myself from being "stone-washed" in a natural tumble dryer. The only problem was, the current was so strong that I could only hold against it in a horizontal position with my feet braced against another rock behind me. This meant I had a choice; suffocate or be beaten to death. It was a dreadful position to be in and I only survived because a 'friend' [who knew about the rapids and had not told me, choosing instead to get himself out before they came up!] had a line to throw me. I suffered a bad knock to my head and a big big fright.

Status
Not open for further replies.