PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Based on the recommendations I received in a separate thread where I asked about pipes in the $100 range, it seems that Savinelli would be a good choice.
I like apple shape bowls. The two options that appeal to me are the 626 bent apple Trevi at around $70 and the

Sistina 320 author at a bit over $100.
For those who have the Trevi - has the filigree ring held up well over time? I imagine it isn't sterling, is probably plated, and am wondering what it will be like in 10 years or so. The Sistina has a brass ring that I imagine will hold up well over time.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I don't have those specific shapes/series, but I have three Savs and I highly recommend them. Great factory pipes for decent prices, especially on the estate market.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I won the 626 from the cartoon contest last year. I also have a Trevi 310, and a Roma 320 from when they came with a similar band that was gold. I have had no problems from any of them.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
have had the very similar trevi 606 for some months now...not quite the time frame you were wishing for, but I've yet to have a problem with the band so far...it, along with the pipe, appears well made.
as a side note, the trevi is a great smoker.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I guess 320 is more easy draw(smoking) for new pipe peoples by less bent shape.

Also after long time pass when time come 320 is easier and higher value to resale by peopel's preference.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think you'll have a problem with a Savenelli, certainly not in that price range. You can somewhat

follow your heart on these. My earliest Savenellis are nearly 40 years old, and were not expensive pipes,

and are among my best pipes. The Sav's I've bought since have likewise lived up to their name. You'll

want other brands, I suppose, but you're pretty secure with Savs.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Trevi prince that smokes very well. I have noticed that the finish had become dull over time but it does not affect the smoke. a nice little pipe and a good value for the money.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
For the $100 and under price tag, it's hard to beat a Savinelli. Most bang for my buck I have ever gotten from a pipe. I own 10 and I have no issues with any of them. Also if you look for estate pipes you can find pretty cheap around the $25 price range. Enjoy!

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
One of our sponsoring vendors has a 10% off sale for the holiday, and I purchased one of these along with a variety of tobaccos, filters, and other kit.
Link to the Savinelli website: Savinelli 626 Fuoco Rustica

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
@andy that's a sweet pipe. I saw you're also looking at a 320. I believe both pipes an also be found in the "Trevi" series, which I believe will save you some money to add towards your tobacco and other needs. Pass on the filters. The pipe comes with twenty, and after using one you will throw the rest away.
Here's a pic of my 320 Trevi. Great quality, a little cheaper, and you still get the really cool accent on the stem

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
That is a nice looking Trevi 320. I saw the Trevi line and almost went that route - and the vendor with the sale has a 626 in the black rusticated. But truth be told, this Fuoco just spoke to me more. I off-loaded some gear from another hobby that doesn't interest me as much anymore, and I had no issues spending a bit more on myself. I like my hobbies to pay for themselves whenever possible.
As for tobacco, I ordered four new ones along with the pipe, plus I still have six more here at home. Two of the ones I have at home are bulk - both Virginias - so I sealed them in mason jars this morning for use later.
I still have a number of items to liquidate from the hobby I'm no longer enjoying. I suspect I'll get a 320 after selling off some more of that gear.
As for the filters, I'll actually be using them. Every smoke. Of the pipes I do have, I prefer the filtered ones - at least for now. Plus I can use these Sav filters in any 6mm filtered pipe. If I end up not using them, I'll make a balsa wood plane out of 'em.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
The 320 shape has always caught my eye. I have a Sav sport rustic in my daily rotation and its been a great pipe.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have a Trevi 626, amongst other Savinelli's, and it smokes like a champ. I've noticed that the finish wears off very quickly, but that certainly doesn't effect its smoking capability. However, if I had paid more ($200 to $300 dollar range) and it did the same thing I would have had a fit.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
After placing my order for the 626 model I liked best (Fuoco rusticated) a few days ago, I started thinking...I'd really like a 320 too. So, to take advantage of my preferred vendor's 10% off sale for the holiday - this morning I ordered a 320 (my choice being a rusticated Sistina), a nice pipe stand, and more tobacco (from what I hear, one can never have too much tobacco or too many pipes).
This may sound odd, but I made an agreement with my internist (I'm at an age and health area where my primary doctor is an internist and not a family practitioner...): that I would smoke a pipe sparingly, and she wouldn't bother me too much about it. This internist is young enough to be my daughter - which is completely beside the point - but as she put it, if I smoke a pipe on occasion, with all the rest that I have going on with me, it is probably going to be the least of my concerns.
Now to maintain the "sparingly" notion of smoking a pipe...

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I have a rusticated 626 Trevi. Picked it up from my local b&m a few years ago. I love the pipe. It's a great smaller size bowl that has served me well and never had a problem. Aside from often wishing i had gotten the smooth finish instead, I highly recommend it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you like a non-filtered pipe but want a Savenelli, look at Oscar Lucites or Sav's unfinished pipes. Also, they do

a fine churchwarden (I know that's not what you are shopping for now, but to mention it); it's shape 601.

Status
Not open for further replies.