PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hmmm, I had always thought that you were supposed to smoke them unfinished, like those done by Nording, and let them naturally patina.
There is no supposed to! Both routes are great, and you can go half way- smoke it unfinished for 20 years, then have at it. More seriously, I have a handful of unfinished basket pipes from Wilke, Ries, Sherman that I did nothing to, except way later- decades later- had a carnauba finish buffed on and they shone like shellac!

Jan 8, 2013
Anthony, I'd like to see how it turns out if you do that. I have an unfinished 320 as well, and am thinking about doing a nice contrast stain.
The more I think about it, Joeman, the more I want to do it. Mine has some fills along the bottom right side of the bowl in a line going to the bottom of the bowl that began to stick out like a sore thumb as the briar has been darkening. They'll still be visible with a stain I'm sure, but maybe not as much of an eyesore. I'm in the process of finishing another pipe right now, so once that's done I think I'll do it.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I just bought a whole box of semi-completed pipes, so I'll have a bit more practice with this..

That right there looks like a big box o' fun!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Hmmm, I had always thought that you were supposed to smoke them unfinished, like those done by Nording, and let them naturally patina. My bad. I guess the do this to make them customizable?

I didn't with mine, Left it naked & a patina?? occurred. My yard cutting pipe. Favorite above cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.