PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would add, small pipes are a fine addition to any pipe rack. I think a few extra large and small pipes will always get smoked for particular uses. Small pipes are great for short smokes, sampling, evaluating extra strong blends, etc. Also, often with flake/coin/plug/or rope, you can get a full-length smoke out of a small pipe. fish' put me onto small pipes a few years ago; I'd always regarded them as souvenir pipes or toys. Not so, not so. If you have more than seven or eight pipes, a small and extra large are worthy additions.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
You are totally right, MSO! At the moment I have only medium/regular to big sized pipes and a small one is missing from the collection. There are other pipes which I'm more interested in, but this small one has a new, different purpose. For the other pipes I would like see in my collection: Christmas is at the next corner!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Have to also concur. I have a few Jeantets & other French pipes (which tend to be on the small side), plus a smallish Nording bulldog. There's definitely a niche for smaller pipes.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I tried my first Minuto two times already and I have to say that I am totally satisfied with it. It gives a good 15 minutes smoke, exactly what I wanted from this pipe. I use Bali Shag mellow virginia rolling tobacco (cigarette tobacco) in it with a 6mm filter. I was expecting less from this type of tobacco, but it was a nice surprise. It is almost as good as an average pipe tobacco and burns just fine, not too fast, not too slow.

I have read that these small pipes can be hot very fast, but I didn't experience any overheating, it was just normally warm. My Minuto is rusticated - maybe this helps to cool down the briar faster - and it is poker/cherrywood shaped, so the bottom is thick. Overall, this pipe has the same high quality as other Savinelli pipes and if you would like to have a small pipe in your collection, I would totally recommend this one.

I'm already thinking about my next Minuto, maybe a smooth-ended one. I know, collecting pipes is a disease! :lol:

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I like cobs, but I am really interested in how the Sav. Minuto smokes. The OP seems to have picked up one a few months ago.
I can tell that it was a perfect choice. It gives excellent smoke and I enjoy it very much for short smokes. Feather-light, nice little pipe which serves well. I can recommend it, as Savinellis in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.