Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro 310KS (cherrywood)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This is another of the "pipes with problems" batch. In this case, the stem oxidized so badly that getting back to black reduced its diameter enough that there's now a step at the stem/shank junction. Whoever did it also angled & blurred the barrel portion a bit (probably by using a buffer).
In any event, I knew all that when I bought it from an estate table at a show, planning (at the time) to replace the stem with a crispy, acrylic one.
Good intentions, yadda yadda... Maybe one of these centuries. :lol:
So. Except for the slightly flatter "sit angle," this is a Dunhill 472. A "Friendly." And who doesn't want to be friends with a Friendly? :wink:
Granite grain (on one side, anyway; almost gg on the other), smokes great, and a wonderfully convenient shape when working because it'll sit solidly on any flat surface within reach.
43.0 grams, 5.6" long
P1020447.jpg

P1020450.jpg

P1020454.jpg

P1020456.jpg

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
While I also share an appreciation for what you refer to as Granite Grain, is it fair to say the grain on this particular pipe is underwhelming for a Giubeleo?
Maybe it just isn’t well represented in the pictures.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
While I also share an appreciation for what you refer to as Granite Grain, is it fair to say the grain on this particular pipe is underwhelming for a Giubeleo?
Maybe it just isn’t well represented in the pictures.
Some of both. Grain definitely doesn't come across in my quickie photos very well (those instances where it seems to, such as in Neill Roan's Comoy's book, a lot of post-processing filters & etc. are used); but neither is this a spectacular specimen.
Originally, meaning decades ago, Golden Jubilees were EXTREMELY rare because they were literally flawless. No fills, no blemishes, no pits, no matter how small. Just frazed, standard-shape production pipes that by sheer luck turned out flawless. No creative shaping to work around flaws was even possible, never mind attempted. It was the only Savinelli line that was guaranteed to be fill free.
(Today's Sav's---the new version of the company---does things differently, but that's another story)
Anyway, this pipe looks to have been given the highest grade more for its blemish-free, dense wood w/100% grain coverage than its looks.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It isn't a real thing. It's just my own name for super-dense end grain---so-called birdseye grain---that doesn't have many (or any) "eyes."
From more than an arm's length away it looks featureless, almost like stone. Hence, "granite".
The top shot of this pipe is what it looks like. If the other side did too, it's what I would call a granite grain pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.