PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
from Smoking Pipes.. is this guy serious or pulling our leg?

Ginger's Favorite
being a somewhat young(ish) late twenty-something, I was ashamed to ask who "Ginger" Rogers was, knowing the angry backlash I would probably receive from asking some of the older members of our staff. Although my knowledge of the 30s and 40s cinema is limited, I will certainly redeem myself by watching "42nd Street" the next time it comes on TCM. And though I can find absolutely no picture or reference to Mrs. Rogers's affinity for pipe smoking, beyond the song duet "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", I can certainly see why this pipe may have been her favorite. The gentle curve and graceful length, this dapper bent Apple, adorned with a handsome horn-colored stem, is as light, nimble and beautiful as Ginger herself--a perfect ode to the silver screen starlet. Or could it just be that the long Churchwarden helped her avoid those times when "smoke" got "in her eyes"?

-Seth Ellison-

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Pipes and Cigars lists it as a tribute to Ginger Baker of the band Cream
Ginger's Favorite
Ginger Baker
And mentioned in this Pipes Magazine thread Looks like he's smoking a Falcon, though.
that's what I have always read that it was a tribute to drummer Ginger Baker of the band Cream.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I got it cause it's a long pipe.

I didn't want a churchwarden, and the Clark's favorite is too flashy for me.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like to think that Ginger Rogers would smoke a pipe like this. Probably never happened. But in addition to being a great dancer, and actress, she had a great sense of comedic flair. Two of my favorites, Roxie Hart, a movie based on the play Chicago, which was later made into a movie a few years ago. She was truly funny, and well, just forget about political correctness! My other fave was Monkey Business with Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe. Some great slap stick here if you like that sort of stuff.

How about Ginger Rogers having a smoke with Ginger Baker, yeah now were talking!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I had written to correct the person/s at Smoking Pipes. I received this email in return.
Dear Sir,
Yes, the Ginger's Favorite series is dedicated to famed silver-screen actress and dancer Ginger Rogers.
We hope this information is helpful. Thank you and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Sincerely,
Customer Service
There is also a Payless Pipes site. They are saying the same thing, that it's a tribute to Ginger Rogers.
(This is the trivial nonsense that keeps me awake at night. Not politics. Not serial killers or wars overseas. Whether Baker or Rogers gets credit for a pipe!)

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I looked on Savinelli's web page and they don't indicate which Ginger they refer to. I always tended to think it was Ginger Rogers as they have one dedicated to Clark Gable and one to Bing Crosby. It just seems to follow in logical sequence it would be another star from that time.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
The art deco-esque stem and overall graceful aspect of the the pipes certainly are evocative of the height of 1930s style, and so was the inimitable Ginger. Works for me whether or not she ever actually smoked a pipe, which is pretty unlikely.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I can agree with agnosticpipe about Monkey Business, we don't see blondes like that on the Silver Screen anymore, as for Ginger never heard of a pipe reference but I've seen her dancing partner Fred Astaire with one on rare occasion! As for me I prefer the Bing's Favorite.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pipes and Cigars lists it as a tribute to Ginger Baker of the band Cream
Ginger's Favorite
Ginger Baker
They did, but later, after research, changed it to Ms. Rogers.

SAVINELLI GINGER'S FAVORITE PIPES
Ginger's favorite pays homage to Ginger Rogers, who enjoyed a pipe between scenes.. This is presented with the same style and graceful lines of the Churchwarden. Get a cool smoke and look sophisticated when you smoke this lovely pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.