PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
One of these just sold on Ebay, NOS for almost $80.00 shipped. Does anyone recall what these sold for when generally available? Anyone have an old one you want to get rid of?
Don

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Can't help with the Sav Reamer, but I use an adjustable Kleen Reem and it's amazing, even comes with a hidden drill-bit airway reamer. Got mine on Ebay for 10 bucks.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have a Decatur pipe reamer and it does a good job. I don't remember what I paid for it but worth the price...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a Fitsall, a Senior, a Butner, a Cook's, and the Pipnet set. Best reamer I own is the California clip blade on my Case XX stockman.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here's something that serves the purpose of the Fitsall for a fraction of the price.
https://www.dickblick.com/products/triangular-scraper/
$79 is a deal for a new Fitsall. I saw a used one go for $150 last year.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Here's a similar product for a lot less.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/decatur-pipe-knife-pipe-tools/1508631/

They're currently out of stock, but more are coming soon.
Russ

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I have the Savinelli. Picked it up barely used at a shop for $20. Looked for a while before I found it. The one Russ listed at P&C is very good just really in stock.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
May not be for you, but I had a friend long ago who used an oyster shucker knife he picked up at a local seafood store. Actually, it worked really good. I've often considered picking one up myself.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I got an estate in today that had some serious cake. You know the kind that has a little worm hole down to the bottom of the bowl, or maybe a little past the bottom of the bowl? UGGHHH
Hard cake, gave myself a workout with the pipenet set. I am not sure what would have helped make the job any easier. I switched back and forth between 2 different sized reamer heads until I had a clean bowl and a look at the worm hole divet in the bottom of the bowl. Some Everclear and cotton ball treatments and some Miracle Mud to straighten up the bottom of the bowl and she will be just fine.

A note to all the inexpensive pipe hunters on Ebay, if the photos do not show the inside of the bowl, prepare yourself to work for your bargin.

The pipe is a beauty though, listed as a Ivan Riss it was actually an Iwan Ries black canadian Savinelli Capri Root for $25.00. I do some work for that.
Don

• Wow
Reactions: ScienceSmoker

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you Sir.

Your process was certainly much quicker and far more elegant than what I went through.
Don

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I actually do use an oyster shucker as mentioned above...always have...works better than anything else I've ever seen and it only cost me $2.50

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the "pipe knife" Russ mentioned. Should work for oysters, too!
pm-tdnps-pk-1000.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hard cake, gave myself a workout with the pipenet set. I am not sure what would have helped make the job any easier. I switched back and forth between 2 different sized reamer heads until I had a clean bowl and a look at the worm hole divet in the bottom of the bowl. Some Everclear and cotton ball treatments and some Miracle Mud to straighten up the bottom of the bowl and she will be just fine.

A note to all the inexpensive pipe hunters on Ebay, if the photos do not show the inside of the bowl, prepare yourself to work for your bargin.

The pipe is a beauty though, listed as a Ivan Riss it was actually an Iwan Ries black canadian Savinelli Capri Root for $25.00. I do some work for that.
You did very well with that, Don. Photos?
Also, I've read some have found water loosens cake. Not in my experience, but I go for hard and thin cake. So, I suppose if the cake on an estate is quite thick, it's also on the soft side. Anyway, just a thought.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Compare this to the picture JP put up above...look similar? And only $1.36 at KaTom Restaurant Supply; keep in mind that there are a bunch of different designs of shuckers out there...the one I have is a little slimmer and sturdier than this one appears to be, thats probably why I paid about $1 more for it.
ekCmTy1DGlaIPTSSvrwibKRhmtPwNToe4h45usauj8fP7tp-_NVkB7XLJQydiWgZPp6KLIX0XXwWGQJ8tj1srAGK2DHKj0slrRuqx1pbk90i00BZMKCVLQKOX3OQyEq7HiLZt9V3ysf3kys7opPWMgZdOLLbrZsyHSVjkCsA2Yxh9mycAFnWQXSLZ9jMkPAr55WZD9gdaU6fhQaU8pce=s800-pd-e365-rw-pc0xffffff

Status
Not open for further replies.