PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I just recieved a Savinelli Cricket pipe today. I had been wanting to try one out for quite a while now.
leathercoveredpipes006.jpg

There's just something homey about a leather covered pipe. I'm aware of all the down sides about leather covered pipes, but I still find them intriguing.

You picture a paneled den and leather arm chairs, and a glass of single malt on the tabel.

There are gun cases, and a fireplace. Pictures of your champion Llewellin setters on the walls, and so forth. Just the perfect setting for a nice relaxing smoke.
Oh well, I don't have a paneled den, my guns are locked away in a safe now, and my setter has been gone for many years, but you get the picture.
Anyway, about the Cricket pipe. It is very light and feels good in the hand. The stem looks to be a cheap plastic Cumberland imitation.

There is a coating inside the bowl which I usually don't care for. The leather seemed to be very thin. The stitching looks cheaply done.

The only other leather covered pipe I have to compare it to is a Longchamp pipe made during the 60's I think.

I have included both in the photos. The stitching on the Longchamp looks much better done, and it has lasted quite well, given the age of the pipe. The leather also appears to be slightly thicker.
leathercoveredpipes001.jpg

leathercoveredpipes002.jpg

I haven't smoked the Cricket yet. I usually trust Savinelli to do a good job with their pipes. Hopefully this one will not prove the exception.
It looks cheaper made than the Longchamp, but looks can be decieving. I will put it through it's paces pretty soon.
leathercoveredpipes003.jpg

Happy smoking.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Cool.
Reminds me a football.
You say the stitching looks cheaply done. I can't see it in the photos.
Is the leather removable in any way?

yannispap

Lurker
Apr 19, 2011
just lit up my Cricket for my morning coffee...

it is light,draws well and seems well stitched together.Will it last?time will tell....so far,so good!

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
kgrhqvhue1fuvokfbn6gwjkug_12.jpg

My Kiko smokes great and feels great. This pipe gets a lot of use! Sometimes I use a dab of leather conditioner.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I'm aware of all the down sides about leather covered pipes
What would these downsides be? I have not heard of this before and it is intriguing to me as I was thinking of getting a leather covered pipe.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I believe that the downside is that you cannot examine the quality of the briar that is covered with leather.... :?

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Kinda like a meer lined pipe, people like them or not at all.. I like both. Maxpeters, I love that Longchamp! I have always wanted one. Finally saw one I wanted and put out a bid and won! Will be my pipe of choice while I'm at the horse track. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.