PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
I managed to find this rather manky Sasieni Trafalgar pipe on Ebay for next to nothing - its a sandblasted billiard with a replacement stem. Covered in lava, encrusted with dirt and slime, rim beat to hell, nomenclature filled with burgey and taint, replacement stem - in short, all the horror of an estate pipe.... My hope was that bowl was in good shape and perhaps refurbushing the stummel, addressing the poorly fitting replacement stem or even making a new replacement stem, I could press it into service as a smoker and thus enjoy a Sasieni "on the cheap"..
sasieni-trafalgar-before-316x600.png

I was well into the clean up and at the stage of applying small rotary tools to extend bowl sandblasting back up onto the repaired rim when my wee Jack (4 year male whippet) decided to gank this project off my bench and apply some "Whippet Rustication".
chewed-sasieni-trafalgar-600x524.png

*sigh* :oops: 8O Sooooooo, scope change! From a loving refurbishment of Sasieni billiard sandblasted Trafalgar to a hot-rod Sasieni-based sandblasted pot!
To this date, he's never shown any interest or bother to concern himself with my pipes. All have been now lifted off surfaces reachable and put away in secure storage. But I ask - who can be mad at face like this?
jack-daniels-556x600.png

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I think that’s terrific. And I bet you’ll love smoking that pipe. Who knows, maybe your thread will start a niche market?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My bloodhound has applied rustication to many household items. Books, shirts, underwear, socks, blankets, pill bottles, chap stick, tissue boxes, flower pots, my wife's purses, her kennel doors and walls, wooden spoons, bowls, table legs, floorboards, cutting boards, slippers, leashes, the cat box, golf clubs, fishing poles, and much much more.
She is the best dog I've ever had.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Sorry but I can't help but laugh at this.
To be honest though, other than cutting it down flat, I think the dimples from the teeth are kinda neat. I'd be inclined to cut the top as noted but leave the rest alone (maybe clean, re-stain, etc.) and have a pipe with real, personal character. Who else is going to have a pipe like that?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, that is a beautiful dog. I'd let him get away with almost anything, like my rescue cats. I can almost visualize his stride just from the legs. That pot should be a good little smoker.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
Thank you mso489 - Jack is quite the guy - he is one half of a pair of hellions in the house. The other is a 2 year old wee girl whippet (who goes by the handle of "Mimosa") - she is pure evil sweetness. Nothing like a gazehound running at full chat - poetry in motion. These pair come out of the same kennel, but are not related. Like pipes, a guy can't have just one whippet :puffy:
mimosa-and-jack-600x412.png

Anyway, here is the progress on the "Sasieni Trafalgar Rusticated Pot" so far
sasieni-pot-early-stages-of-rustication-600x346.png

I've cut off the remnants of the original rim post-Jack chewing, topped the resultant pot, reshaped the top of the rim to bring the shape into balance, now applying various sizes of rotary bits/cutters in a random fashion to rusticate the bowl & shank surface - looking promising

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'd say that's an absolutely fine job of salvaging that bowl. Looks completely intentional, and actually quite unique. Well done! Can't wait to see the finished product....

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
Rustication with a variety of rotary toolkits finished. Stummel stained, flamed to set, then surface sanded back to flatten top of rustication, lightening colour - nice contrast with recessed carved areas. Stummel then buffed and polished with coats of carnauba wax. Note crazing to interior of bowl - this bowl will be treated with a maple syrup + activated charcoal bowl coating to protect the newly exposed briar during break in and cake formation.
finished-stummel-600x401.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Whippetschwarzenegger got a hold of that pipe, not the angel you have pictured.
05aaa41dc830e59088b02027d5419b34.jpg

Amazing save on that pipe! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.