PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I‘m far away from being an expert on this, but slot and button look very un-sasieni-ish. Also the „Made in England“ stamp is in an oval shape on original ones, I think.

Reactions: dmcmtk and cshubhra

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Also the „Made in England“ stamp is in an oval shape on original ones, I think.
That's correct. It's also missing the "London Made" stamp under the Sasieni swash as near as I can tell. The shaping of the button looks way off, more like a molded stem than hand cut. The shaping of the bowl seems correct, and I'm not sure that the bowl is a fake, though it could be. Part of the problem is that every maker was a little inconsistent about their stamping.

Faking Sasieni stems happens occasionally, because the one and eight dot stems are more collectible. So replacing a 4 dot stem with an eight dot or one dot stem might earn you a cool 50¢. It's a nickel and dime level of chicanery and seems hardly worth the effort involved. Faking a Bo Nordh can net thousands.

Last edited:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'd say that tenon looks very un-Sasieni like.

That's an undestatement. Very noticeably drilled off center, and the airway diameter is much to small to accomadate a stinger. The SPECIALLY SELECTED marking is very crisp, but where is the S...? Mortise drilling looks off also. The early One Dots did have MADE IN ENGLAND markings, I've seen linear style, and also across the top of the shank. I've seen the LG mark before (Large) but wouldn't also expect a shape number. The button is way to tall, and bulky. The stem is not original. I don't think the stummel is genuine either.

Reactions: cshubhra

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Just to make sure I am learning....

This is from another Buy it now from eBay. I think this is a replacement stem - the dots (FOUR DOTS) are not symmetrical

View attachment 2271
Believe it or not, there actually can be some variation. Is that pipe a FOUR DOT or a 4DOT? Hard to tell from the picture. I will say the button looks more correct than the pipe's in the OP.

Reactions: cshubhra

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just to make sure I am learning....

This is from another Buy it now from eBay. I think this is a replacement stem - the dots (FOUR DOTS) are not symmetrical

View attachment 2271
Yeah, not symmetrical, but in the wrong direction. The asymmetry runs longitudinally along the length of the stem, not across the width, and it's only one dot that's a little farther from the other three, which are equidistant from each other. It's a clear replacement as is the stem in the OP post. On later Sasieni pipes, the dots were equidistant and at some point were enlarged.
With the "one dot" stem, the flow along the shank is not followed in the shaping of that stem.
Moreover, the length of the slot is waaaay too short with both of these pipes. Real Sasieni slots of the Pre-War period are much longer east-west.

Reactions: dmcmtk and cshubhra
Status
Not open for further replies.