Apr 14, 2018
What do you make of this?
il_fullxfull.1776725206_lilq.jpg

Don

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
"Sasieni" is not in script, florid or not. This makes it a later (current) non-family era machine made pipe. Often referred to as decent "smokers", they are not the hand made collectable pipes from the brand. Also, there is no "Four Dot", "Eight Dot", or even "Two Dot" stamp. It may smoke well for you, but it's not a collectable piece.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Don, a picture of the pipe in profile? Any logo on the stem? It looks like a family era "second".
"Sasieni" is not in script, florid or not. This makes it a later (current) non-family era machine made pipe.
This statement is incorrect, ome sees this plain SASIENI marking on other family era pipes, see FRIAR, CANADIAN, etc.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-sasieni2.html
:)

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I believe I am correct. The " seconds say " By Sasieni", this pipe does not. This pipe also doesn't have the line, "Mayfair", "Old England", etc that it would have.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
In addition to "By Sasieni" a second might say " Sasieni Made". I've never seen a second stamped simply "Sasieni", therefore the lack of script would make it a later Sasieni, not a second.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Looks like a light blast over rustication. If family era, I'd say later family era...(?) Mostly guesswork, I've never seen the finish or WATERLOO before...or WATERLOO could refer to a churchwarden line/shape in a bespoke way, like the CANADIAN pipes?
No mark on the top of the stem?
:)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was immediately puzzled by that one as well.

Waterloo is a shape name, and town, in the Four Dot era:
DSC04652__01078.1445009192.1280.1280.JPG

I want to say that is either some kind of Sasieni 2nd line (or below the Four Dot?) or a weird transition piece.
That football COM is definitely Family era and earlier.
Post family used the Made in London, England round COM.
A Sasieni mystery!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Al, family era Sasieni pipes did not always have a football shaped " Made in England". Many had "London Made" over "Made In England" in straight block letters. That mark works for Comoy's, but not always with Sasieni.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Al, family era Sasieni pipes did not always have a football shaped " Made in England". Many had "London Made" over "Made In England" in straight block letters. That mark works for Comoy's, but not always with Sasieni.
Yes, but the Football shaped COM was ONLY used in '46-'79 or Patent era pipes and never after (well, an exception is the 8-Dot Specially Selected reproduction made in '79).
Now, after seeing that Tree Bark thread, I suspect that this pipe was one of those, but someone fashioned a churchwarden stem for it.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Al, I agree. The non script "Sasieni" is a dead give away. An actual Sasieni would be in script. A second would say Sasieni Made or Made By Sasieni. IMHO, this is a later issue.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
If anyone is interested, this pipe is on Etsy. I just bought a different pipe from him today, super nice guy, willing to deal, some. Nice selection at all prices including some very pretty Charatan's.

caking1960
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.