PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've wanted a Pete with a Wind Cap for a while and "settled" on a Pete with a Hinged Lid instead. Big mistake. I smoked it a couple of times, but this style is what I was looking for. I ended up sending the Hinged Lid to a Forum member while my search continued.
Well the search is over. I just picked up a Pete 3S Deluxe with the style Wing Cap I've wanted. Once it lands I'll look at the Hallmarks and post the date.
These photos are from PulversPriorBriar.Com
DSC0014341.JPG

DSC0014436.JPG

DSC0014641.JPG

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Well, the photos kinda suck a little, but that is a fine looking Pete anyway. I bet it is a real stunner in person! Classic craggy finish and all. Congrats on a great find! :clap:
Post us some glamour shots once it arrives! Please?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Verp, the photos suck a lot!! Lol. I didn't realize the grab a photo of a photo was going to look like I used a Potato.
I'll definitely update pics.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Trudger, yes and no. The seller's description says its a reproduction AND Peterson is famous for those. I'll just have to look at the Hallmarks.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Even though the pics are not the best, you can still tell that the pipe has an incredible blast. Congratulations on completing your journey for the pipe!!!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I saw that one for sale, but Marty's comments on the draw (he always complains about tight draw on Petes) led me to pass. I'm sure it's like other Petes in your collection, so if you like their engineering, I expect you'll like this one too. It was a nice bargain, IMHO.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Craig, As much as I respect Marty, for the price, I figured it was worth the gamble. He also says "plenty of briar", so I figure I can open the airway if need be.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have the pipe in hand and am currently smoking it. The drilling isn't the "problem", it's a P-lip. I don't think Marty likes P-lips. It's smoking just fine btw. The Hallmarks indicate it was made in 1977.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
Funny reading this post. In 2009 I bought one of those silver windcaps with the chain on ebay for $25. I have been laughing ever since. Mine fits shape 9 smooth and sandblast. I never use it.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Ash, so the P-Lip isn't a problem in your experience/opinion - so does it just smoke different? Can you expand on that? Tighter draw?
Just wondering if I would dislike the P-Lip enough to pass on a great pipe or whether it would be fine but just different. I'm curious what made Marty say there was an issue, and what your thoughts are on how it actually draws.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Ver, the draw on this P-lip was a bit tight on the first smoke, but after vigorius cleaning of it internally it's fine now. The draft hole is perfectly drilled and the briar is clean. :crazy:
As for P-lips in general.... I really don't even notice them. I do make a mental note that it's a P-lip so I'm not surprised on the first puff. If that makes sense.
About 1/2 maybe a bit more of my Petersons are P-lips. I don't hesitate when I see a P-lip vs Fishtail. As a matter of fact my new St. Patrick's Day 2019 is a P-Lip and they had plenty of Fishtails for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.