PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
You all should be good I only purchased 10 tins of FVF. If I don't like it I will sell it here. I have not seen it actually available anywhere in over a year. Always showed up too late.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If you do not like it now, wait awhile before you unload it. Your tastes may change down the road and you could end up enjoying it.
Also, give it plenty of dry time out of the tin. They pack their tobacco very moist and it benefits from drying out. I prefer mine pretty dry, a couple steps above crispy. That seems to bring out the best in flavor.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
If you do not like it now, wait awhile before you unload it. Your tastes may change down the road and you could end up enjoying it.
No truer words have ever been spoken. I find that any stout leathery hot pressed Virginia takes time to become the stuff that legends are made of. I adore FVF but it is nothing compared to itself with 5 or more years of age on it.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I'm going to try Fred Hanna's oven baking method to see if it changes some of my Virginia flake. 190 degrees for several hours in an unopened tin should prove interesting.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have oven dried tobacco in the past and it does work, but it is still not as good, in my opinion, as air drying for a couple hours. I have never tried this method of baking the unopened tin that you speak of, but it sounds kind of severe. 190 for several hours I would think would turn your tobacco to dust. Then again, maybe if it is in a sealed tin things would be different. I know that when I oven dry tobacco, i set my oven to 160 for 10 min to allow it to get to temp and then turn it off and bake a few flakes for no more than a couple minutes. Any longer than that and they just get crispy dry and turn to dust when you rub them out. That mistake is how I started making snuff from pipe tobacco he he he. Couldn't see wasting it so I ground it and passed it through a sieve and voila...FVF snuff.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
@rhogg

Sounds like you have been waiting awhile to try SG FVF, If you dont like it, You wont have any problem selling it.

Also, Thanks for the update. :puffy:

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
10 tins does not seem like overkill to me. I love Virginias. Especially rich flavorful ones, and considering it is one the most reviewed pipe tobaccos thought I may as well stock up. Like I said I have never seen it available in the last year. Did the same a while back with penzance and it paid off.

No need to justify rhogg. While questioning the spending habits of others regarding their pipe passions may be allowed, there is certainly a more tactful way to broach the topic than the member who instigated the response with subtle sarcasm.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Getting prepared to smoke the first bowl:)

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
I just bought a 250g bag of FVF. I think it is probably cheaper than buying 10 tins.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Anyone notice how the flakes that are sold in bulk are much thicker than the flakes in the tin with FVF and St James? I have multiple pounds of both and it is weird how the tinned stuff is so much thinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.