PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
I just ordered some Samuel Gawith, and was wondering the lifespan of the tins? I remember someone saying the tins go bad because of the square shape?
I may have misunderstood the statement. Any Insight appreciated.
Bought: Full Virginia Flake, and Chocolate Flake.
Thanks my friends!

There is like a %5 more chance that a square tin might fail the seal before a round one. But, there are millions of aged square tin out there with over ten years on them. Some members have added a layer of wax over the tins, some put the whole tin in an airtight container, some have wrapped tape around the edge. I just take the odds and roll the dice.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
I was thinking of zip lock bags, Also someone posted about some air tight bags, Iwan Reis sells???

You could put the whole tin into one of those vacuum seal bags. But, I am not sure what the longevity is for those. As far as heavy duty ziplocks... I think it was Woodsroad who reported that these will fail at the ziplock part. IMO, there are so many 30+ year old tins of Capstan and Erinmore that have survived being square, that I don't feel very worried.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
My understanding is that as long as the tin has a good factory seal, the shape makes little difference. Although, I have read in several different threads around here that once the seal is broken the round tins last a lot longer than square. Maybe this is what you're thinking of? The oldest SG tins in my cellar have about 8-10 years of age on them. There's some light rust spots on most but the last one I popped a few months ago still made that perfect suction noise when I opened it (I love that sound).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I heard somewhere, possibly here, that temperature cycling weakens the seal. No problems if you store them at a constant temperature -- I'm guessing 70*-ish.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
and do not put em in the kettle with boiling water as the undersingned did half year ago, resulting-the tobacco itself gots dryier, it was my crazy experiment with few of square tins ,my aim was I wanted to improve seal on them,no good, heat of boiling water affected negatively both on taste and freshness of tin contents,even if the vacuum has improved

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
and do not put em in the kettle with boiling water as the undersingned did half year ago
I think that would be one of my wife's nightmares to walk out to the kitchen and see me canning latakia.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I bet some folks here on the forum were laughing out loud when I was reporting back then my experiment

Who knew? You never know until you try. That could have resulted in an insanely great improvement. Too bad it didn't. :cry:

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
Only ever found one square tin that had lost its seal. Unfortunately it was a 4 year old tin of Penzance. Still smoked great albeit a bit dry and in need of rehydrating.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I've never had a SG tin lose its seal and most of mine are about 12 years old. The tins that I have no faith in because of experience is the smaller rectangular tins. I had five 9 or 10 year old tins of Kingfisher and all 5 lost their seal. 5 out of 5 losing their seal now that's just not bad luck, those tins will not hold up over the long haul.

Knock on wood... the only tin I ever had come un-sealed was one that I am certain that another customer had opened before me. Now, I check all of the tins before I cellar them away. MacBarens had a stretch of time there, where they had issues with their tins, but I think that was caused by rust.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
and do not put em in the kettle with boiling water

Always solid advice. I remember laughing about this. And the guy who tried to seal his jars like he was jarring veggies and accidentally filled all of his mason jars with hot water. At least people have a sense of humor when they do things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.