PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Have you noticed any difference in quality between the tin and bulk Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Balkan Flake?
I am interested in exploring more Virginia tobaccos, as well as flake style tobaccos, having been smoking mostly Latakia style English blends.

I have smoked tins of Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, which I enjoy very much, but have read reviews that state that the bulk Squadron Leader pales in comparison to the tin.

I am looking to order enough baccy to build up my cellar, but I am wary of SG bulk for these flakes after reading the negative comments on SL bulk.

As for the Full Virginia Flake and Balkan Flake, is the bulk the same as the tin, or does the bulk come up short as in the case of SL, as stated in many reviews?

Thank you!

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Kane, not sure if this is any help, but I bought bulk SL and find it an excellent smoke, although I have not smoked the tin. I have also smoked bulk and tinned St James Flake and found them the same.
Not an exact answer but may help with your enquires. :)

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I've never noticed any difference between bulk and tinned Full Virginia Flake. Apart from the flake length, of course.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Hi Kane,
My number one and number two blends are SG blends, St. James Flake and Full Virginia Flake. I've smoked both tins and bulk of both and the biggest difference I've found (when fresh) is the moisture content. The tins tend to be very "wet" whereas the 250 gram boxes come at a much drier consistency. I've had very good results with the pre-packaged boxes but can't really speak to the "loose" bulk as I haven't purchased any in that format.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
My experience with bulk and tinned FVF is the same as Torque. Bulk isn't perfect moisture content but it is much closer than the tinned stuff is.
I can give no help on whether SL is different in bulk. Perhaps it just needs more time to marry, since it's not in as close quarters as in the tin? Or perhaps bulk SL is drier ,like bulk FVF, and needs higher moisture to operate at optimum levels.

Oct 12, 2014
If you're looking to cellar buy the the 250 or 500grm packages and break them up on your own. Better prices and they do come a bit "wet" which I think is a plus when you jar them..

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Tins for convenience and bulk for the cellar.
My take is that once tinned the air is restricted and you kind of start the aging process whereas the bulk is just sealed in a zip lock baggie. I think the impact is there is more air circulation in the bulk so it may not seem as rich in flavor as tinned. Both tinned and bulk flakes come from the same brick its pressed into before slicing so the tobacco is the same, just cut differently.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Squadron Leader is the only bulk that I ever detected a remarkable taste difference between it and it's tinned counterpart. There seems to less Latakia in the bulk offering and the virgininias are sharp edged. Some time in the jar helps but I'll still take the tinned version. St. James flake, fire dance and FVF seem equal in both bulk and tinned servings.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'm currently smoking my way through a tin of Balkan Flake, and lovin' it! This is one blend I'll be cellaring for sure, but I'll stick to the tins for ease of storage.
I also don't mind that it's wet out of the tin as that precious moisture aids in the aging process.
Albeit I'm sure you won't be disappointed either way.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Kane,
I go along with Torque on this, I've smoked many bowls of Balkan Flake and certainly a lot of FVF from both tins and bulk. I can tell no difference at all. The Gawith folks seem to do a great job with their packaging of the boxes, and I think you would enjoy your favorite Gawith blends out of the box as well as you do the tins.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown are two of my favorites. I order both tins and bulk and haven't noticed any differences.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I have been smoking these blends for about 15 years.
Like others, I find no difference in flavour between tin and bulk. However FVF from the tin is usually more moist than the bulk and in my experience needs even more drying time. Also the flakes from the tin are not always of uniform thickness. This is fine if you rub it out (like I do), but may not be ideal if you are a 'cube cutter'. In bulk the flakes always come in long sections of uniform thickness.
BTW if you love FVF you will also love SG "Best Brown Flake" - a beautiful brown straight Va.
Both age fantastically well.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
BTW if you love FVF you will also love SG "Best Brown Flake" - a beautiful brown straight Va.
Kendal Plug, being the unsliced version of Best Brown, is pretty fantastic as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.