PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
This is one that has been on my radar for a bit but I never got around to trying, along with the codger blends I tend to lean toward the English blends, I do like anything with grassy Virginia's, earthy Turkish and a dose of Latakia in the description, and this one fits the bill. My Secret Santa came thru and Im quit impressed with the selection.
Squadron Leader is a fine cool smoke, not overpowering, that I will enjoy all day

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I'm a sucker for the biplane on the label. Something (oriental?) in this and SG Skiff give this a delightful retro hale. I've had trouble finding it sometimes, but it's a favorite.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Funny you mention Skiff, a friend has sampled me some that I smoked yesterday, the only 2 SG blends Ive tryed and will be adding more to my shoping list, when in stock

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's an SG I might enjoy. Sounds nicely balanced. No floral/soap flavorings. It is a little spotty in the supply line.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I haven't tried SL yet, but I consider Skiff to be my favorite blend. I definitely favour lighter latakia blends that have a strong oriental presence.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I love Squadron Leader, quite possibly my favourite English blend. I find it smokes alot better slightly drier and in a small diameter bowl than most other English blends I smoke.

seacaptain1

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
Squadron leader is a good smoke. Slightly one dimensional and likes to dry after opening the very moist fresh tin. I transfer the baccy from the tin into a large sealed canning jar. After a few weeks it becomes much better than fresh out of the tin.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I lucked up and got a tin for 5 bucks from a head shop that dabbled in pipe tobacco when first opening. Sold me that, balkan flake, full virginia flake, and navy flake for 20$. They all had been opened but they were sitting in a room that had direct opening to the humidor so I took a chance. I know he had them for at least 2 years because I saw them when they first came in, but I don't know how long they had been opened. Must say I haven't been a fan of FVF and Balkan, and since I've never had them before, I don't know if it's because they had been opened or if I just don't care for the blends. They're very dark. Is that normal?

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I did not enjoy Squadron Leader upon opening. I left it for about a month and it was much more enjoyable.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I got a tin last weekend from a b&m and have been smoking it regularly. I'd say it's the lightest tasting English blend I've tried. SL fits the bill as my 1st smoke of the day, and sometimes more. Definitely an all day blend.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I approach this as a Virginia/Turkish forward smoke lightly spiced with Latakia. I smoke it to start off a Latakia only day. By the end of the day it's Old Ironsides or Nightcap. You get the picture.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I had the limited edition the other day with the perique included in the blend, and it was delicious.
I have a few tins of this squirreled away but I have yet to try it and have not tried the regular SL either.

Sounds like I need to give the Skiff a try too. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.