PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've been curious about this one for a while so we popped a tin that's been on the shelf for a while, 2 years maybe??

The paper was starting to stain and had that come hither appeal as soon as the lid came off, the tin note was almost beyond description, Dates,Prunes, a popporri of fruit stand deliciousness. This is as advertised a broken flake and the bright Virginias are beautiful and there are some darker, leathery strands intertwined. I rubbed some out, picked a few stems out and let it sit and breathe for about 30 minutes, I'd safely say it could've been loaded and smoked right from the tin but I gave it some air anyway. Easy packing, lighting and smoking. Very sweet up front with some actual fruitiness coming through during the first third of the bowl then it settled into a more classic SG Virginia. Very similar to FVF at the 2/3 mark with no hay like notes but rather a developing burnt butter toast type taste? GG burns to a fine white ash and I had to dump near the end but was rewarded with a refreshing relight that lasted to the heel. I suppose this could've gone onto the review forum but I don't consider myself a reviewer. I tried Golden Glow in my Ferndown Squat Bulldog and enjoyed this broken flake thouroughly. Give it a try.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Very nice review. I enjoy Best Brown Flake but have to be very careful with the nicotine because I am a lightweight. How is this one in the nicotine department?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'd have to say its right in the middle of the medium zone if you've ever looked at the graphs they use on Tobacco Reviews. I didn't really notice a nic hit until about the halfway mark. I'll caution that I've got a pretty high tolerance myself. Thanks for the kind words too!

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Alright, I will have to give it a try or at least put a tin in the cellar and wait until I get my tolerance up!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Said to be the same as SG's bulk Medium Virginia Flake. I smoke MVF frequently and enjoy it immensely.

I should try comparing it to a tin of Golden Glow. :puffpipe:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
An old post I know but one of the few ever to mention Golden Glow. Is this blend not readily available in the States I wonder?
I personally think it king of the crop of Virginia blends, uncomplicated but full of flavour. I feel the more commonly mentioned Full Virginia Flake is a great blend but has a little harshness here and there whereas GG is smooth sailing all the way.
Once I have got a little deeper into my tin I shall offer up a full review with pictures.
Regards,
Jay.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Yeah, FVF and St. James get all the glory here in the states. I do really like this one though. Let's keep this one our little secret so we can still find it on the shelves.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
This sounds like an interesting smoke. I like the road less traveled, as well as any tobacco with "Gawith" in its name. Thanks for the heads up.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Golden Glow is some fine stuff. I bought a tin of it that was a few years old out of a bargain bin for a reasonable price. The tin was compromised so I had to rehydrate the tobacco. I couldn't wait to try it. The va's looked spectacular. Even after rehydration this stuff burned nicely and tastes out of this world. I didn't find it to be harsh, it is mildly sweet and in the summer months it's a first rate va. Not at all cloying on hot days. I've never tried FVF yet so I can not compare the two. Oddly enough, this is mostly rated as mild to medium in the nic department. It satisfies my craving rather quickly. GG is a gem. Thanks for bringing this fine blend back to the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.