PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
One of my top 5. I have around 15 pounds in the cellar now. I don't find the nicotine level that high, more mild to medium. The Best Brown is awesome as well.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have a couple of tins of Gawith's Full Virginia Flake on the way as I delve deeper into the world of fine Virginia flakes, and I am really looking forward to trying it. Not to belittle English blends (which is mostly what I smoke), but I am coming to the conclusion that a good Virginia flake really is the pinnacle of fine pipe tobacco.
Given the collective wisdom about how well Virginia flakes age, I will be stocking plenty of flakes in my cellar after I find which flakes I like the best.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
There is a bit of bulk FVF floating around now in the 250g boxes...
Full Virginia Flake is one of my favourite flakes - possibly my favourite that does not contain perique.
(Escudo is my favourite)
I'd be fairly satisfied if FVF was the only blend I could ever smoke. It is top notch. I recommend you age it for a few years and dry it accordingly before ignition.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Been toying with Virginia flakes for a bit. I have gotten hung up on LTF and LNF with some Sutliff Virginia Slice every then and now. Someday will have to reach out and try some other flakes

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
FVF is definitely one of those blends you have to try. I like it. It doesn't quite have the complexity and open-ness of some flakes but it is a strong offering from a respected maker. I find myself preferring Condor Flake more these days but they are quite different.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Very tasty Virginia tobacoo indeed. Reminds me, I wanted to get another Tin of this stuff. But on a sad note, this is also the one and only tobacco that I ever had develop actual mold in the cellar. Propably a mistake on my part becaue this never happened with any of my other S.G Tobaccos.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[this is also the one and only tobacco that I ever had develop actual mold in the cellar. ]
Are you sure it is mold and not instead plum? which looks similar but which is actually deposition of oil on the surface and which is very jummy. Mold appears as fluffy filaments growing outside the flake while plum is like a whitish crystal on the surface of the plum.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Well the whole jar was full with white fluffy stuff so yeah that was definitly mold. I have seen blom before, that was not it^^.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
anyone notice that the flakes are longer than anything else out there?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm glad the OP stepped in to advise us of the existence of this previously little-known Virginia flake :rofl: :nana: :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Jay,
Well, I was tempted to add, "as penned by illiterates" but I was pretending to be in a kind mood. Besides, you may have asked a question that others here, too fearful to step out of the fringes, have been desperately seeking to have answered. This may in fact be the greatest moment of public service of the 21st century! Have you considered that?

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I'm sure I'll be blasted for saying so, and maybe full bodied VA flakes just aren't my thing, but I found SG FVF to be among the most overrated blends ever to hit my pipe. Okay so I've only smoked it fresh, and only about 5-6 bowls worth, but it simply didn't appeal to my taste buds. Of course, I don't particularly like Stonehaven either so something must be seriously wrong with me...
Bothy Flake and St. James Flake, Yes!!

For me, FVF, not so much.

Wolf, it usually take a more mature palate to discern the flavors from Virginias, and this is why we say that Virginias are more of a tobacco for the more experienced pipesmokers. There's no shame in that. It takes time... Heavier blends that have more of a "loud" flavor palate are better for the beginners, like Englishes and Dark Fire blends. Even aromatics and burleys are easier to taste. Virginias aren't for everyone. Some people never get to the experience level to enjoy a straight Virginia. :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Okay so I've only smoked it fresh, and only about 5-6 bowls worth, but it simply didn't appeal to my taste buds. Of course, I don't particularly like Stonehaven either so something must be seriously wrong with me...
Yes, something must be seriously wrong with you.
Well, not really.
But how long did you dry out either of these prior to smoking them? The first time I smoked FVF I thought to be the most disgusting tobacco I'd ever smoked. Disgusting, foul, ghastly, vile and I expressed my experience in no uncertain terms. Then, a kindly member here suggested that I let the flake dry for 5 hours. So I did that, and the difference was stunning, but in a good way. FVF needs to be dried down or it tastes like stable straw after the horse has eliminated all over it.
Stonehaven is a PITA. There's a moisture range where it releases all the flavors in the bag/tin note, chocolate, plums and raisins as well as the molasses Burley Virginia base, all of it. But be off by any amount and you get anything from a mildly treacly blend to cardboard. Stonehaven can use a couple of hours of drying. If it isn't nearly bone dry when fired up, it doesn't give you squat.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"This may in fact be the greatest moment of public service of the 21st century! Have you considered that?"
WOW.....and to think I played a (minor) role in it makes me tingle all over :D
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.