PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
SG offers wonderful variety even if you only have one of their blends.

Agreed!

The variety of flavors available in each blend dependent on the dryness is pretty amazing. McClelland's is another blender that has a very different flavor profile depending upon wetter/drier smoke. Fun to explore.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Samuel Gawith is an excellent blender, and uses excellent tobacco's. Highly recommended by me. All of their tobacco's I've tried and been great quality tobacco's, and Skiff Mixture, Perfection, Squadron Leader are all favorites of mine.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
But I hesitate with tins @$100.00, and though I would love to try some of Glynn Quelch's wares or those from Motzek or HU, I will endure smoking affordable tobacco.
Due to British and EU tobacco laws where each blend has to be registered with the Gestapo (at considerable expense to the blender) Glynn is no longer blending tobacco's and effective closed the business. He still sells pipes as he had a considerable stock, but that's about it. I did hear a rumour that HU were going close down too but don't know this for sure.
To get back to the original post SG and GH are my go to brands and I enjoy the whole range of Lakeland's through to Latakia's. Almost all of them need some degree of drying though.
I am stunned to read that 500g can be bought for $60!! I pay circa £125 per 500g (about $150 at today's exchange rate).

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
I confess the moistness of SG flakes tries my patience. The underated SG Palace Gate is a must for aro moments tho.

G & H are top quality and their moisture levels are about spot on, maybe that is to do with availability only in loose pouches in the UK. Only just tried the Louisiana flake and what a great va/per it is. Rum flake is also a must and the aroma is how we all remember a pipe smells like.
Must mention Rich Dark Honeydew and Mellow Mahogany too.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
The underated SG Palace Gate is a must for aro moments tho
I'd forgotten about Palace Gate - it is indeed an excellent aro!
G & H are top quality and their moisture levels are about spot on, maybe that is to do with availability only in loose pouches in the UK
That depends on several different factors - mainly one's individual preference on moisture content. I used to smoke straight from the packet but now find that I prefer a fair degree of drying. If buying in 250g or 500g packs, it often comes packed from the factory and the moisture content does seem to be higher - probably because it's always bloody raining! :lol:
RDH is a cracking smoke but I've never tried Mellow Mahogany.
Whereabouts in the UK are you Kimbiker?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I regularly smoke BBF, Balkan Flake, Navy Flake, and Bothy Flake. I have also smoked Skiff, Squadron Leader, FVF, and Commonwealth. None of these have the Lakeland essences. All are high quality blends.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
Perhaps I bought some bad batches but I have not been pleased with these blends. Maybe it's just my taste buds but I do not plan to purchase any more SG. That's only my opinion.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I smoke quite a lot of SG and G&H blends, I like FVF, BB, Perfection, Grousemoor, Navy Flake, St. James Flake and several more. They each make some tobaccos I'm not fond of, but the base tobaccos are always top notch. The same can be said of J.F. Germain, I might not like a particular blend, but there is no doubt it will be made out of high quality leaf.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I don't like to pay over $60 for tins, myself. Maybe $100
He was probably referring to the fact that if he bought the equivalent of 1 lb tobacco in tins the extra costs would equate to $100.00/lb

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
SG FVF and St James Flake as well as GH Bright CR Flake and Bob's Chocolate Flake are all four in my top 10 blends. I remember 9 or 10 years back when FVF was almost as hard to find as Penzance is today... I said almost!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I remember 9 or 10 years back when FVF was almost as hard to find as Penzance is today... I said almost!
Well...try finding Full Virginia Flake today. There are a few tins out there, but the 250gr. boxes are scarce.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Payless has some at better prices than P&C, but you have to spend $200 to get free ship. They usually don't stock much quantity either.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.4noggins.com/samuel-gawith-full-virginia-flake-250.aspx 4noggins has 250gram boxes of fvf.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Back in July of 2016 SmokingPipes had 250 gram boxes. I bought 10 boxes, I'm not looking for more. I'm not bragging, my actual point is that I saw this coming and thinks also about the FDA.
Oh, and I also bought 10 boxes of St. James. Is that scarce too??

Status
Not open for further replies.