New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the tin yesterday - however it is safe to assume that it has a few years of age on it. The tin was rusty (See image)

tin.jpg

I used a cigar cutter to cut it into neat coins. Knowing its reputation, I only took a small coin for my first smoke. (As in the image below)

cut-600x492.jpg

I broke the coin with my fingers into very thick ribbon like shards. I let it dry for about 2 hours, then loaded into one of my smallest pipes. Even then, it filled half the pipe. I gravity filled it, with a little gentle push to ease it in.

On the first charring light it rose to fill almost 3/4th of the bowl. I tamped it down, and lit it again.
Tasting Notes

Right off the bowl I got the barbecue like smell and taste, as others have often talked about. If I would like to pinpoint the exact smell and taste, I would state that it smelled and tasted like soft wood chunks slathered in clarified butter and burnt. When I continued to puff I distinctly got the sweet taste I like in almost every puff, made very rich with the burning smell. I also got wisps of some additional oily smell which I could not place.
This tobacco deserves respect, and I slow puffed it (As gently as possible). Boy! it was delicious! Every puff reminded me that it is loaded with Nicotine, and need to be handled gently. A tiny weeny bit irritation felt in my mouth linings, but nothing to talk about. Required relights but not as much as others talked about, but that I believe is due to the age, and the 2+ hours of drying. Every puff was a celebration.
After smoking half a bowl, I started to get a little lightheaded and a little buzzed. While I was enjoying it, since I am also baby-sitting my two kids (Wife away at the mall), I decided to put it down after about 2/3 bowls.
This burns very cool, and unlikely to bite, though your mileage may vary. Burns into fine white ash (See picture).
ashes-600x458.jpg

Verdict
This is a glorious special occasion smoke, in small quantities. There is nothing I have ever tasted like this. However there will only be a few people in the world who can smoke this regularly. As an occasional smoke, this gets 100/100.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I love it, but find it a bit mild. I'll usually mix it 50/50 with Old Dark Fired, or Bold Kentucky to give it more strength.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I do love the char broiled beef flavor of Black XX. Mixing it with Newminster Superior Navy Flake gives it a honey barbeque flavor. Very good tobacco to play with blending!

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Stronger than 1792? I love that stuff but sometimes have to cut it (with GH Black Cav).

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's a glorious smoke. I did not find it stronger in nicotine than other SG/GH ropes, but also do not view this as somehow related to being masculine. Those of us who love high-nic blends just like to know we're smoking, and a wallop upside the head such as delivered by this blend is a good reminder. I bet it is good with a sweet Virginia as C.E. recommends.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Yes, OP, Black XX is a very fine rope. As you enjoyed it, you may like Brown No.4 rope a lot, too; though it is a bit stronger in nicotine. I love strong tobaccos as often they provide a smooth and soothing slow smoke. The rope I would really like to try is Cotton Boll Twist; both DM and Cosmic claim it is delicious on its own and very interesting when combined with other tobaccos: my understanding is that it has one of the strongest nicotine kicks, even more than Tambolaka. For myself, pipe tobacco should be soothing; and nicotine for sure is a part of that, but I desire a soothing, smooth and flavourful smoke. I think if I just wanted the vitamin N jolt, I'd consider a pill. But that removes the joy of the soothing smoke: give me a bowl of Bold Kentucky rather than a pill any time :puffy:

Thank you Thomas! I scored the Brown #4 rope too during yesterday's visit to JR. I had actually jarred them both yesterday, but today morning curiosity got better of me and reopened the Black XX first thing in the morning and smoked 2 bowls since!
Agree with you ... a dose of Nicotine is relaxing!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The rope I would really like to try is Cotton Boll Twist; both DM and Cosmic claim it is delicious on its own and very interesting when combined with other tobaccos: my understanding is that it has one of the strongest nicotine kicks, even more than Tambolaka.
It is wonderful. I think that, at the higher end, the differences are less great than it might initially seem to be the case. I do not find Tambolaka or Cotton Boll Twist to be that much more intense than your SG/GH ropes, but when I can, I like to blend Cotton Boll Twist with Brown Twist Sliced and some Royal Yacht to sweeten it. Try about 40-40-20 ;)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Cotton Boll Twist with Brown Twist XX might be flamingly good also.
I have avoided the GLP blends, despite him being an old USENET dude like myself.
The premium price irritates me for some reason, since there are so many things from overseas I'd like to sample as well.
USENET > 2017 inertnet (some typos are not typos).

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Anyone tried Brown No. 4 Rope by Gawith?
Yes. It's a favorite, even with the hints of the Lakeland Essence ("olfactory Ebola") leaking through periodically. I think they just spray down everything in the factory with it... powerful, flavorful, oily stuff that is tough to get burning but then mellows down with a nice rich caramel flavor. Basically a lot of work but delicious and perfect if you smoke while you work.

Status
Not open for further replies.