PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Nothing on tv tonight so I watched an old Bogart movie..Maltese Falcon..Bogart played a private detective named Sam Spade.The movie was made in 1941.That's the year before I was born.I thought it was a pretty ordinary movie except for a couple of things.Boy has technology changed since then.Cars as well.Now here's the reason for this post Sam (Bogart)was smoking cigars and cigarettes through out the whole movie.Not just any cigarettes.He had a cloth bag with a draw string at the top.He poured tobacco out of the bag onto a rolling paper and rolled his cigarette.I remember seeing folks do that when I was very young.That was over 60 years ago though.The best thing about this movie was that it brought back memories of things past.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have not seen that in years. Some locations in the film were in San Francisco. Love to see old films and pictures of the city.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
:wink:
bogie_zps164e9e1a.jpg

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
The Maltese Falcon is one of my favorite movies and I did get the opportunity to watch it today as well Puffy.

~Ron

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Sorry for the size guys and gals, just wanted to be sure you can see why this is my favorite scene from the Masterpiece...The Maltese Falcon

I didn't know they made Falcons in Malta... 8O
MalteseFalcon.png

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
@Puffy: "I thought it was a pretty ordinary movie....?"
I will most respectfully disagree. It's still one of the landmark works of pulp fiction written by the great Dashiell Hammett, the film was directed by the Academy Award winning director John Huston who also had the pleasure of directing his own Academy Award winning father, Walter Huston, in a scene where the dead bodies don't match the gunshots, the movie had a stellar cast with some of the best polished "tough guy" dialogue ever written this side of pipe smoking Raymond Chandler's "The Big Sleep" and the amazing cinematographer, Arthur Edeson, was the director of photography.
Puffy, this is classic American cinema from the 30's to 40's and it doesn't get much better than this.
@Scrapyardape: As much as I love my Fredo Corleone avatar, and fondly remember John Cazale as a superb actor, I am sorely tempted by that wonderful pix you posted to push both of them under the bus.
Fnord

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Digging it, Scrap.
Great cast, great script, more great cinematography from Arthur Edeson and even better direction from Michael Curtiz - one of the only guys who could ever get a better than decent performance out of Errol Flynn.
It doesn't get much better than "Casablanca."
Fnord

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
puffy said:

"Sam (Bogart)was smoking cigars and cigarettes through out the whole movie.

Not just any cigarettes. He had a cloth bag with a draw string at the top. He

poured tobacco out of the bag onto a rolling paper and rolled his cigarette."
One summer during my college days, I worked for the Forest Service and was helping to fight a forest fire in the Sawtooth National Forest in central Idaho. One guy, a man of about 50, on the crew had only one arm, but that didn't prevent him from rolling his own smokes ... most amazing thing I ever saw. Can't tell you how many times I tried to do that, but I couldn't have done half as well if I'd had three hands ...

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
"I hope they don't hang you, precious, by that sweet neck. Yes, angel, I'm gonna send you over. The chances are you'll get off with life. That means if you're a good girl, you'll be out in 20 years. I'll be waiting for you. If they hang you, I'll always remember you." Classic.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
TMF is just a wonderful film. So many great actors and such wonderful dialogue. Sadly it is the only Sam Spade story that Dashiell Hammett wrote.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca are in my video library. Great movies, I always enjoy them.
On the other hand, Errol Flynn was a known Nazi sympathizer, and had questionable "relations" with very young girls. I can't stomach the guy.
My dad rolled his own. I was always fascinated when he would do it.
Lawrence, loved the picture.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Saw it last night again. While I'm typing this "Sam Spade, Detective" with Howard Duff is on my Sirius radio. Love those old movies and radio shows.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
@Petes03: I enjoy Flynn as well, but like Plateauguy pointed out, he certainly had less than admirable traits. He was also a really handsome guy with a limited range as an actor but he made out just fine with that million dollar smile. Flynn was a hambone actor yet he was perfect for those Sabatini like characters he was put on this earth to play.
Errol Flynn was a creep.
@Lawrence: Thank you for The Maltese Falcon still. It's a beautiful picture.
Fnord

May 31, 2012
They're estimating that the Maltese Falcon statuette on auction at Bonhams on Monday will go for $1M+
It weighs 45lbs!

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21427/lot/225/
The other known example sold for $398,500 in 1994,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Conrad-Maltese-Falcon.jpg
I've always loved the 1937 Dead End

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028773/

149744756329918401mQiCGWwoc.jpg

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I read the book before seeing the movie. I'm not sure which I preferred. Probably the book, because I usually do.

Status
Not open for further replies.