Salt And Alcohol Treatment. Why Kosher Or Sea Salt And Not Table Salt?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Is it because of the iodine in table salt? If so, what effect does iodine have on the pipe?

I've been using coarse sea salt. Just wondering.

Reactions: diamondback

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
From my understanding, it's due to the larger granules of kosher salt.

Regular table salt granules are so small that they could get stuck in small cracks in the cake or briar. This would be bad if that happens because when they expand from the moisture, they will expand the crack if they are in one.

Also, larger granules are easier clean-up when your done and will help ensure that there is none left in the bowl when you are finished cleaning it.

Oct 7, 2016
I have used plain non iodized Morton’s salt since around 1980 Why? That is what I was instructed to do by a pipe smoking mentor. It worked, why change? Never had an issue that would seem to dictate trying kosher salt, sea salt, rock salt, whatever. Others seem to get good results with coffee grounds, cotton balls, who knows what else. My results using what I was taught suit me.

Oct 7, 2016
Whatever you use—and coffee grounds are the least harsh treatment— a hot water flush following the treatment will finish the deal as fresh as daisies.
Not sure how “harsh” can be measured or why it is relevant, but the last time I did a salt treatment I did use a warm water flush and it worked fine. But so did swabbing the bowl out with a damp paper towel, my previous method.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I'm not sure if it matters in the pipe cleaning application, but the geometry of Kosher salt crystals have a higher surface area per mass (typically pyramidal), whereas typical table salt crystals are cubes. Thus Kosher may dissolve faster and if added as a finish to plated foods, it isn't as harshly "salty" tasting.

There's also many brands of Kosher and sea salt that are packaged without the anti-caking agent. This chemical agent will turn canned foods cloudy if present, but again I don't know what affects may occur when cleaning pipes.

Reactions: diamondback

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The reason I asked is because I'm cleaning up a couple of estate pipes I picked up at an antique shop.

I don't see a need for an salt alcohol treatment on my daily smokers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Not sure how “harsh” can be measured or why it is relevant, but the last time I did a salt treatment I did use a warm water flush and it worked fine. But so did swabbing the bowl out with a damp paper towel, my previous method.
Agree on that point. I will have to do the fresh water flush, that would save some time and no harm done. I then run a small diameter brush thru the shank, wiping it each time, till it comes out relatively clean (residue at first is like black tar). Then, scrunched up paper towels dipped in alcohol, till they come out clear. That typically yields a ghost free smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.