PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
I have been looking around at mason jar prices because I hate spending more than I need to on things like that, and WalMart currently has their brand on sale, a dozen pints, for $5.50. I've read their mixed reviews on the website, and I figured I'd give them a try and if their seals aren't amazing, just pickup new lids from a better brand.
Just wanted to give everyone a head's up.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Not sure about the Walmart brand, but we do have tons on Ball mason jars at a reasonable price at the store... I need to buy some myself.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
my local store has carries the kerr brand. I figure for 5.50, it's worth a try, if I have to I pick up new lids or just new jars all together

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I was at the hobby lobby a few weeks ago and one ball jar was selling for $4. That was rediculous. I have never bought there, only priced it. Shoot, You could almost buy a case for that.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I checked out the Walmart brand a while back. Seems to me there pints are not wide mouth. Not a big deal if you only use them for aging/storing tobac. I use them for aging, but I also fill my pipe out of them once they have enough age for my taste. I like the wide mouths since they are easier to reach into and subject to less spillage. I will check again just in case they have wide mouths. Thanks Nikko!

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
Ball or Kerr probably makes Walmart's jars anyway.....that would be a nice contract for any jar making company and I don't know that there are many jar companies around these days IMO.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
That is a good price. I've found lots of mason jars for cheap on craigs list. I use them to jar up honey. Met an old lady that was about 90 and had her lifetime supply of jars for sale for about a dollar a dozen. Of course I had to buy lids but many were salvageable. I found another gal nearby that had a ton of lids still in the box for cheap at a garage sale. Garage sales always seem to have mason jars for pennies. Another tip is to save your jelly jars and spaghetti sauce jars. Most of them fit the standard mason jar lids. Some hot water is all it usually takes to get the labels off and a quick rub with alcohol will get off any stubborn label adhesive.

Status
Not open for further replies.