PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
With jesse's(aka Saddlebrush) help my chase for the coveted Pre Transition Barlings has continued. Firs up is a Fossil that jesse says I got a real good deal on. He dates it to November 5th 1949, which he says is one of the best dates to own a Barling. Here are a couple of pics.

s-l1600%201_zpsyi8d5kea.jpg

s-l1600%205_zpseifgtwzx.jpg

s-l1600%202_zpsnigz3n13.jpg

Next up is a Barling Quaint. Jesse tells me these are pretty rare and coveted by the more knowledgeable Barling collectors. When I told jesse what I paid, he told me I did really good. Now to my eye it is the ugliest pipe I have ever bought. Jesse says it will smoke great so on that statement I bought it knowing I would always hate the look. I got the first Barling in and it was in pristine condition. I am waiting on the second one but since I bought it from Mike at Briar Blues, I know it will be mint. I smoked the first one and it smoked great. I am sure the second one will smoke great as well. So far that is 5 Pre Transition Barling's in less than a month. I am hoping I can get to 20 before the end of the year.
Here is my fugly Barling.

ak75b_zpsjlaqojnf.jpg

ak75a_zps6chpxsj8.jpg

ak75f_zpsca4tjhie.jpg

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Don't forget to PM me when the Rads no longer measure up to your heightened smoking standards. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
elpfeife, as much as I love these Barlings, my Rad's will never take a back seat. Now if someone were to offer me 5 times what I paid for my Rad's, I might just explore the possibility of selling a few. :nana:
jesse,
Oy vey...
What are you trying to say? That maybe you have created a monster... it is your fault you know.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I get a real kick out of your Barlings purchases. My one regret from my pending departure from Europe is that I never saw one for sale at a flea market. I have picked up a few Dunhills and other England and French made pipes, but never a Barlings. I doubt that once I get to Hawaii there will be the quantity of great pipes for sale on a table in some parking lot, but you never know...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I dunno... word on the street is that Jesse has been selling his older, unwanted pipes through a cutout as bait to distract buyers from the Good Stuff he spots and doesn't want anyone else to see.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff_(countermeasure)
Looks like you fell straight into his Extra Sneaky Masterplan, cigarmonster. :lol:
While you had your eye on those two shiny objects, he scored this unsmoked pre-war 7-day set for fifteen bucks:
xqu1LR5.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
george, that 7 days set is too nice to be real. His photo shop skills are well known, as he does that kind of stuff for a living. No such thing as an un-smoked 7 day set, he lies I tell you.
lraisch, I was just kidding, jesse cannot date these things within in a ten year time period. For an alleged expert, he is fairly uneducated. Don't anyone listen to him, he knows nothing.
jesse is mine so don't go poaching him on me.
Thanks for the nice comments guys, to those who like the Quaint, you have a better eye than I do.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse that is why I rely on you. I would have never bought that pipe except for you telling me how rare it is. Now I have the rarest of all Barlings on it's way to me. jesse said I could re sell it for 10 times what I paid for it. He is such a great source.

Status
Not open for further replies.