PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017

There are only a handful of people in this world that would appreciate this project I just completed. Thought I would share in the general pipe smoking section here because it is more of a general theme of love for the pipe smoking culture and the things we do to enhance our experience.
I have had this old 1970's (possibly early 80's) S.T. Ligne 2 brass lighter with a pipe angled burner for a very long time. I got it for $75 a few years ago but it never worked. The ping sound was fortunately brilliant, so I just kept it with my accessories and played with it off and on. But I wanted it to function! So I researched repair techniques, made the appropriate phone calls, watched many YouTube videos, and acquired the necessary parts and tools from over seas (had to wait almost 3 months for the tools to arrive from China). I made the plunge and spent half a day meticulously completing a total overhaul. To my delight, it turned out beautifully and the lighter is born again like a phoenix from the ashes. She is lovely! The angled burner for pipe smoking is very rare and I am happy to have one in my collection. Total price, including the lighter and parts/tools was about $150. But the experience ... Priceless!

Reactions: vates

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Very nice. I know what those Dupont lighters cost, you got a deal.

I've heard the 'ting', it's distinctive.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Looking good. I miss using my Duponts. They’re all cigar burners and I just have not bothered to get one of them converted. Plus, I had a bad experience with the New York authorized Dupont repair shop some years back and I don’t trust them.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
So I researched repair techniques, made the appropriate phone calls, watched many YouTube videos, and acquired the necessary parts and tools from over seas (had to wait almost 3 months for the tools to arrive from China). I made the plunge and spent half a day meticulously completing a total overhaul.
:clap: Bravo to you, sir.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I salute the courage ... given the cost of these lighter, I wouldn't have the courage to touch mine. I have a vintage Gatsby, fabulous lighter, that I would like to use as a pipe lighter, but converting the flame so that it lights sideways is a bit too much for my level of expertise. :puffy:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Did you do all of that without taking off the lid? =)

:|At first I kept the lid in place, but eventually I got up the courage to remove it. In fact, it is necessary to remove the lid I learned later.

Status
Not open for further replies.