PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I've now seen this on one meerschaum (a figural) and one briar (straight bulldog with fancy gold band and rim). The briar also had this mark stamped in gold on the shank. The case marking says only "S & T BEST MAKE." Pipedia and Google turn up no information.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Do you have a photo? My best guess is "Scotland and Toft" after the dissolution of "Saynor, Scotland and Toft." But that's a long shot.
https://books.google.com/books?id=KmE7AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA8287&lpg=PA8287&dq=saynor+scotland+toft&source=bl&ots=zSRaae22WD&sig=ACfU3U2C62obLpiTRh8zskgVUTRonehu8Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjUksPlmajjAhWUWc0KHQwuDXUQ6AEwAXoECGMQAQ#v=onepage&q=saynor%20scotland%20toft&f=false

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Found Saynor, Scotland & Toft's silver hallmark, from 1896; can't find one for just S & T. Saynor only lasted two more years with them.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
No other info I could find. But there are periodicals with a fairly comprehensive registry of pipemakers and tobacconists in the UK. My guess is that they were a relatively small outfit so it would have to be a very comprehensive list.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Here's the pipe. I didn't want to post it until I bought it. It's large, face is supposed to be 5" tall(!!!). Shank is broken off. I intend to have it re-stemmed. In my opinion, this carving is wonderful, a really wise, aged face. It's the 2nd-best native face I've seen, barely behind one by Fischer, but then...that's Fischer. I'm no less happy with this one!
MK3DT8N.jpg

Opinions? Another oxblood/dragon's blood pre-color job, but I think those are pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.